Complete France Forum

worried

uk

I went to have a blood test at the Nurse's premises. When I arrived I was called straight in and the needle in the syringe was at the ready. I would have prefered to have seen it taken out of a sterile packet.  The whole place was tiny and cluttered. Does anyone know with certainty whether a fresh needle is used each time, as I do feel worried. The nurse removed the needle  after using it on me but the syringe itself stayed on the desk, and I am left wondering about the needle lying already in the syringe. Many thanks to anyone who is able to clarify this situation.

Dorothy.

I'm just guessing here but I reckon that if the nurse was busy and pushed for time, s/he might have put the needle in ready as you were being called in.

Then the needle was detached from the syringe afterwards because the proper disposal of needles and sharp objects requires that such things be put in a dedicated disposal bin (to avoid injury to people emptying bins and nowadays I suppose to reduce the risk of spreading AIDS).

Dorothy, I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's not an uncommon practice here especially if the nurse was pushed for time.  Do you think the previous patient had a transmittable disease?  Anyway, do you really think that the nurse would leave herself open to being struck off and sued senseless by doing something as silly as reusing a needle?

Thank you for your answers. The nurse was not busy as I was the only one there and She called me in the moment I walked through the door. The needle was in the plunger and just the needle was disposed off after my blood test not, as like in flue jabs, where the whole thing, plunger and needle comes in a sealed packet and is then disposed off. I think really what I want to know is, can a needle be used more than once or is it impossible in this day and age and I think only a medical person could answer this, although I am very gratefull to anyone taking the trouble to reply, thank you so much, Dorothy.

Hi Dorothy

We have regular blood tests, which are taken by the insertion of a needle (with small rubber tube attached) and the blood collected in a small phile - that is then decanted into miniature plastic bottles. No syringes are used. However, the needle is always a new one removed from a packet in front of you.

Although I would not worry on this occasion - as it is entirely possible that the nurse had just prepared everything in advance of your appointment - I would ensure that future blood tests are taken using a needle removed from its sterile packet and witnessed by yourself.

kind regards, Tina

Hi, just to further reassure you, when modern needles are used, they are significantly blunted when they puncture the skin (cheaper to produce, designed for single use).  If a needle were to be reused, the experience for the patient would be considerably painful (which blood taking should never be).  Doesn't sound that your experience of the procedure itself was anything other than straightforward, and aside from all other reassurances given above, this should further satisfy you that all was safe and above board.    

Dear Doctor,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very reasuring especially as I hardly felt a thing with the blood test, so the needle must have been sharp. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply, it is very much appreciated. Best wishes Dorothy.

Archived