Complete France Forum

Doctor away on holiday

Megan le Fey

Could someone kindly tell me what you are supposed to do if your medicin traitant is away on holiday and a repeat prescription is due for a renewal?  Our doctor does not seem to use a locum, just an answering machine and my French is not up to much at all, especially not a rapid fire talking machine so I can work out that he is away but not what to do about it.

Can you ask a French speaker to listen to the message?

Can you ask your pharmacist to provide the medication in advance of your renewed prescription? (my pharmacist does that because he knows me, knows the prescribing doctor and has my prescription history at his fingertips)

I can't answer this properly as my doctor always extends the prescriptions if she knows she'll be away when the drugs run out.  However, my instinct would be to visit another doctor and explain the situation to them.  The worst thing that can happen is that you will lose some of your re-imbursement of costs.  Still better than going without medicines which you need.  Alternatively, if you always use the same pharmacy, then have a word with them first as they may be able to help - they will certainly advise you of the best procedure.

He's back![:D].   I had thought that he would take the opportunity to at least add a long weekend to his holiday but I telephoned again this morning,  just in case,  and there was the lady with the smile in her voice and who laughs (but kindly) at my French. 

Thank you everyone for your very kind  and helpful replies.  When I see him on Wednesday I will be sure to ask him what arrangements he normally  makes for when he is away.

Panic over Megan.  [:)]

Just to add a bit more information; if you have a prescription which you've used before the Chemist will repeat that for a maximum of two times.

I had tendonitis last year and was prescribed anti-inflammatory cream to clear it. When it came again after a few months I simply took the original prescription into the pharmacy and got some more cream.

Archived