Complete France Forum

Our household has the flu

Kitty

For the last few days, I have been nursing my children with a flu virus (near Bordeaux).  I was coping on my own (paracetemol and a fan to keep their temperatures down) but decided to ring my doctor to ask if there was some stronger medicine I could get.

She was in panic mode and refused to come out (I hadn't asked for a home visit anyway).  She insisted that I stay indoors (I was doing this) and asked when did I last visit England as I must have brought the virus from there.  She rang me back 3 times for more information about who was ill, how long etc.  She said that someone would be coming to my gate with throat swab testing kits.

Then I had a very helpful call from SAMU, whom the doctor had contacted.  They went through a list of symptoms and confirmed to me that it was flu and most probably H1N1 virus.  They said that so many people were ill with this flu in our area that they were no longer testing for it.  Pharmacies are delivering medicine so as to prevent people going out.

SAMU said that I would not have brought the virus back from the UK and that we probably caught it locally.  I immediately phoned my doctor with this information as I didn't wnat it thought that it was a 'British thing'.

It is nasty, this virus, but manageable so, in the words of that Dad's Army soldier, don't panic.  So far, my worst affected child was only really, really ill for about 24 hours, with vomiting and soaring temperatures.  The remaining period (before and after the worst period) is general flu-like malaise - lethargy, aching limbs.

If anyone is worried, my best advice is to ensure that you have plenty of stocks of paracetemol (UK Calpol or French Dolprane for chidlren) and have an electric fan (or two) handy.  I reckon that keeping my children's temperatures down has reduced the nasty period for them.  They have all drunk gallons of water at my insistence.

I am now house bound with my children in bed all day but all is well.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about you Cathy, or is it just the children?  You are always so sort of practical and staightforward.  You were the same with the gales.  Thank you for letting us know and hope you are all better soon.  I wonder for how long you are in a state of being able to pass it on to someone else.

[quote user="Cathy"]

It is nasty, this virus, but manageable so, in the words of that Dad's Army soldier, don't panic. 

[/quote]

Gosh, you are astonishingly calm in what appear to be very trying circumstances.

I do hope your children continue to improve. Take some moments to look after yourself too.

Sue

So far, touch wood, I haven't caught it but I understand that children are more susceptible as they have not built a lifetime of resistance. 

Also good old Dettol has been working its magic.  Everything - sick buckets, taps, door handles, my hands, the telephone - are being wiped constantly by me with Dettol (brought over from the UK - I have no idea if there is a French equivalent).  I like the smell.  It reminds me of my childhood.

Thanks for letting us know Cathy, and a speedy recovery to the kids...

If it is in Bordeaux, it won't be long til it is here in Poitou Charentes.

There is a case locally, a student, 20.

That's all I know.

Good luck, thinking of you. [kiss]

Keep your spirits up!

I was interested in what you say:

"They said that so many people were ill with this

flu in our area that they were no longer testing for it.  Pharmacies

are delivering medicine so as to prevent people going out.
"

This hasn't reached the press as far as I am aware.

See this site about the illness in France which claims that there are '333 cas confirmés de grippe porcine. 268 autres cas sont en cours d’investigation.'

Is it aother  case where the French authorities are pretending that 'all is well in France' as they notoriously did after Tchernobyl when the polluting cloud was supposed to stop at the border [:)]

You will also note the article on the same page "Grande Bretagne..les séjours linguistiques à éviter" which echoes your mention of the way it is being perceived in an anti UK way, as does the headline to

This article

in Marianne which says there will soon be 100,000 new cases a day in GB..

[quote user="NormanH"]See this site about the illness in France which claims that there are '333 cas confirmés de grippe porcine. 268 autres cas sont en cours d’investigation.'
Is it aother  case where the French authorities are pretending that 'all is well in France' as they notoriously did after Tchernobyl when the polluting cloud was supposed to stop at the border [:)][/quote]

The children are much better today and are no longer bed bound.  They have started to get bored - a good sign.  The main problem is continuing headaches.

Norman - the statistics that you have uncovered are interesting because if they are no longer testing for it, how can they know?  It was the SAMU doctor who told me that there were too many cases to test.

I have been reading about the Spanish flu outbreak in 1918 - also H1N1 virus - and it is interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu   It killed 50 - 100 million people worldwide over 2 years.  Then it disappeared as quickly as it came.  How come it has taken over 100 years to reappear?  Is it a coincidence that they started to research the virus a couple of years ago?

It was called Spanish flu because there were no reporting restrictions in Spain so everyone had the impression that it was more virulent there.  In fact, it was global and killed 5% of the Indian population, for example.

Just read this, Cathy, and I fully sympathise.

I came back from holiday a week ago and promptly had to go to the doctor, feeling terribly ill with my asthma much exacerbated.

I asked her if she thought I had la grippe porcine to which she just laughed and said I was merely a little ill!

A little ill! But she did prescribe for me a nasal spray, all my asthma drugs (even though I said I had plenty of supplies left) 2 bottles of cough linctus and some whopping great big antibiotic pills which I am convinced made me feel even worse and made me want to curl up and die quietly in a corner.

The smell and taste of the pills were enough to make the most strong-stomached throw up.

I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, had difficulty breathing and couldn't stop coughing, COULDN'T COME ON THE FORUM.........so, I guess I really was "a little ill".

Your children must be a lot more resilient than I am.  Keep well, y'all!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

some whopping great big antibiotic pills which I am convinced made me feel even worse and made me want to curl up and die quietly in a corner.[/quote]

Are you sure that you administered them in the right place, SW17??!! [:$]  

I have a much better remedy than that of yours Dix-sept. 

1/2 bottle of Armagnac twice daily for a week. It doesn't help as far as the illness is concerned, BUT you just don't care  [8-|][:-))]

I had to have a small op a long time back and I had to have one of those smooth things hinted at. The nurse gave it to me and said "You know what to do with that don't you" I said " Yes, no problems". She came back 15 mins later, no change, another 15 mins, no cahnga and yet another 15 mins, no change. She looked a little puzzeled so I told her that for all the good it was doing I might just as well stuck it up me bum. She went very pale and asked in a worried voice " Oh dear! You didn't take it did you!?! I just burst out laughing and told her it was starting to work. She hit me! [:-))]

All back to normal chez nous now.

I am now washing every single piece of bed linen - and we have a lot of beds.  I'm disinfecting all wash areas/bedrooms etc.  It's such hard work. but necessary as I have my daughter with learning difficulties arriving tomorrow and I don't want her to get the bug.

The funny thing about this virus is that it went away from the house as quickly as it came.

[quote user="Cathy"]

All back to normal chez nous now.[/quote]

Excellent news, which leads to my question ...

[quote user="Cathy"]Also good old Dettol has been working its magic.  Everything - sick buckets, taps, door handles, my hands, the telephone - are being wiped constantly by me with Dettol (brought over from the UK - I have no idea if there is a French equivalent).[/quote]

Is there a French equivalent to Dettol? Or will I have to ask someone to bring me some over from the UK if I need some?

Sue

[quote user="suein56"]Is there a French equivalent to Dettol?[/quote]

Not a straight equivalent, but I use cristaux de soude St Marc (crystal soda).

Use gloves

Do  not use on aluminium, galvanised zinc or pewter.

For general wiping of surfaces, 1 tsp in 2 pints (1l) of very hot water.

Crystal soda cleaning tips in English: http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/downloads/soda_leaflet.pdf

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="suein56"]Is there a French equivalent to Dettol?[/quote]

Not a straight equivalent, but I use cristaux de soude St Marc (crystal soda).

[/quote]

Thanks, Clair. Strangely enough I already use that in and around the house; just hadn't thought of the possibilities of wider usage.

To answer my own question - in a manner of speaking - according to www.ciao.fr it is possible to find Dettol in some pharmacies in France and also from this Belgian website http://www.colispharma.be/dettol.htm. Though the postage to France is a tad high at 7€90 and the minimum spend is 20 euros, which buys an awful lot of Dettol!

Sue

Archived