Complete France Forum

Health coverage for Canadians living in France

Sevendaver

I am from the country which is directly north of the USA, Canada.  Canada is an offially bilingual country that embraces and has for 1.5 centuries embraced French culture, traditions, religion and education rights as well as language.  The marriage is not without its problems however we try.  Enough of this.  Does anyone know of a solution to my health care coverage concern.  I accepted prior to moving to France in September 2010 that I would have to purchase Private coverage.  The plan that I chose after due diligence and consideration is called the Jefferson Plan, administered by the International Health Services Association.  The annual fee for myself 60 years old with no pre existing conditions and my 57 year old wife same no pre exix... was to be 4314 Euros commencing January 1, 2011.  Today December 22, 2010 I received the official letter that the plan administrators had raised the cost for 2011 by 55% across the board.  This makes my fee for 2011 6692 Euros.  Needless to say I am on a drive to find an alternative and an explanation but of course it is Christmas and the brokers are on holiday.

Apart from that we came to France to start a new life in a great little house that we bought with most of our assets.  We are enjoying ourself immensely and would like to continue to do so.  My wife was born in the UK and holds a UK passport however she has never worked in the UK.  My wifes family moved from the UK when she was quite young.  I have applied for residency and have read a lot about forms E101, E106, etc but frankly I do not think much other than the 5 years of residency rule applies to us for health care coverage.  Everything is centred around British expats.

I am not working in France but I am not retried officially in Canada.  I am able to sustain myself but I am far too active and capable to sit and vegetate.  I am a 5 time Ironman Triathlete and fitness instructor.  I spent many years in the finance and insurance business in Toronto.  I need and expect answers.  Is this the place to get them lets see?

I'd have thought that your best bet would be to start a small business under the 'Auto Entrepreneur' scheme. This would give you and your wife health cover (and would stop you from vegetating!).

As far as I'm aware, your wife won't ever get any health cover from the UK whilst living in France as she's never going to be entitled to a UK state pension.

I've seen other people recommend Exclusive Healthcare for full, private health insurance if you decide to go for that instead of self employment.

Hmm.  I am not at all sure that a Canadian citizen can start an AE without a work permit?  But I don't know for sure.

Imo, though, your wife, on the other hand, as an EU citizen should have no problems.  I also reckon that the five year rule applies to her - her work history is only relevant if she applies for an E form (not going to happen, afaik!) but she could apply for CMU with you as her dependent.  You'd be committed to 8% of your income in contributions until you both die, but better than the sums you've been quoted.  But you would need to have private cover for five years of course.

There is a list of some other insurers who provide full cover on our website, link below.

Sevendaver, the first and most important thing is to obtain a permanent resident visa, as until it is granted as a non EU citizen you are limited to a maximum of 90 days in France. Also under new rules introduced a couple of years ago, the application for a long term residency visa has to be made prior to departure, from the French Embassy in Canada in your case.

If it were not for your wifes UK citizenship, you would only be able to apply for a long stay visa, which prohibits employment and has to be renewed periodically and does not allow one to join the French health care system.

What you need to understand is that the French authorities have cracked down on early retirees moving to France and enjoying the benefits of a health care system they have not contributed to during their working lives. Not unreasonable when one understands that the Canadians do not permit Europeans retirees to obtain residence in Canda, as if you are over 55 the Canadians don't want to know.

For Brits who have lived and worked in the Uk for at least ten years, the situation is totally different, as when they reach State retirement age, the UK government will pay the French authorities for their health care if they have retired to France. No equivalent arrangement exists between Canada and France.

The premiums you have been quoted for comprehensive cover seem about right and the increase probably reflects that fact you are now 60, an age which greatly increases health insurance premiums.

Although in theory you should be able to join the French health system after five years French residency, this is not guaranteed and will depend on the terms of your residency visa.

Archived