Complete France Forum

Gratuities-Surgeons & Hospitals

Jazzer

Having recently undergone an operation in hospital I wondered if it was correct/necessary to make a gift to the surgeon. Not the done thing in Britain but something at the back of my mind tells me it may be different here. Anyone any experience. Great surgeon,excellent result.

I've had a lot of surgery, one way and another, since coming here but have never felt inclined to give them anything and have never seen anybody else doing so.  The nursing aids, cleaners, etc - different matter - I have been known to buy them some chocs or something when I've been in hospital for several weeks.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I've had a lot of surgery, one way and another, since coming here but have never felt inclined to give them anything and have never seen anybody else doing so.  The nursing aids, cleaners, etc - different matter - I have been known to buy them some chocs or something when I've been in hospital for several weeks.[/quote]

I second that. A box of biscuits or chocolates from a grateful patient is always appreciated (3 nurses/aids in the family... [:)])

I apply the same principle to this as to all things - the bods at the top are well paid and well respected for what they do.  Those at the  bottom of the heap get their hands dirty on a daily basis for little reward therefore I reckon they are the ones who deserve the little "perks."

[quote user="Jazzer"]Having recently undergone an operation in hospital I wondered if it was correct/necessary to make a gift to the surgeon. [/quote]

I'd second all the above.

However, a really nice personal 'thankyou' letter to the surgeon might be appropriate - and maybe a copy to the Hospital Directeur.

Do it in English - in the world of medicine, it's normal for them to be fairly, if not totally conversant.

Gardian - as a retired surgeon I would find your advice the most acceptable (except for the English thing unless the Surgeon's German!). Even better is sending a thank you letter to the Director of the Hospital naming each member of staff you want to thank.

The doctors at the hospitals we used in our last few years in France had depassement d'honoraires sufficiently HUGE to consider that they had already 'tipped' themselves.

Can't see how a thankyou letter or note would ever go a miss though.

[quote user="JK"]Gardian - as a retired surgeon I would find your advice the most acceptable (except for the English thing unless the Surgeon's German!). Even better is sending a thank you letter to the Director of the Hospital naming each member of staff you want to thank.[/quote]

Perhaps JK could give us tips for carrying out those small interventions that come with age - cataracts, gaul(sic, Angela) bladders, varicose asteriods etc. Could save a bob or few!

Archived