Complete France Forum

S1 (E121)

woolybanana

Interesting point, but as most of the other charges I used to have on my bulletin de salaire were for things like pension, unemployment etc which are not valid for retired people I have always assumed it was just health.

If that is the same for people who are under retirement age and have one because of other entitlement I am not sure.

I certainly can't give a definitive answer.

It seems that French people have to go on paying some social security contributions on their pensions whenn they retire whereas expats do not, and I was wondering whether the S1 covers that or just health. Of course, what is behind this is the thought that the nasty party that has just scratched and crawled its way into power might try and make us pay the same charges as French retirees, especially as the system for collecting same is about to be amalgamated with les impots.

Health only.  S1 holders (E121/106 et al) are not entitled to any other social security payments from France - ie disabled benefits, redundancy and unemployment payments, pensions,etc.  I have always assumed that that is why, if you are entitled to any other benefits via work over here, you cannot use an S1 for your healthcare, you must use the French system.

I don't think there are any actual côtisations to pay by retired people in France, it's just the damned contributions sociales ( contribution sociale généralisée (CSG), contribution au remboursement de la dette sociale (CRDS)

These don't actually pay for things, they are simply repaying the debt of the Sécu..

Health, only health cover WB.

What happens to us is, we get debited by the french pension people (all of them) each month for health care, it is health care, as we do not pay CSG etc. They  issue the S1 which goes to Newcastle and pay the UK for our health care. So it is paying Peter to pay Paul and it means that as retirees in the UK, we pay for health care.

Ofcourse once the UK pension kicks in, this will stop and the french pension service will pay brut and we will not pay for health care in the UK, but that is some time off.

I recently read, and thought I had bookmarked but hadn't, an article which said that as part of the May 2010 EU wide changes the UK now reimburses France the actual cost of healthcare for S1 holders as opposed to the blanket annual lump sums they used to pay.

I don't know if that is just the 70% or the full amount if for ALD related treatment.

Not what I saw but I think perhaps para 24 refers:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?val=495842:cs&lang=es&list=495842:cs,&pos=1&page=1&nbl=1&pgs=10&hwords=&checktexte=checkbox&visu=

Still looking !

This also refers:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32010D0427%2803%29:EN:NOT

It seems that what has changed is that member states now have the choice between flat rate payments and reimbursement of actual cost's and UK have decided on the latter.

The piece I found originally was much clearer in stating this.

Still looking !

This sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare for the UK, given that the actual costs of treatments etc don't seem to be as transparently obvious as they are here. Are health practitioners in Britain really going to figure out the itemised costs of every treatment given to a non-British resident from the EU who has an S form?

I can see France taking this option since so many S1 holders are older, but the reverse seems a bit odd to me.

[:D] When I called to pick up a new presciption at my chemists, I asked how much it cost. They did not know! This is not NHS run, it is either a company or owned by a chemist and they did not know.

If they cannot cost things, how could they bill the french.

As NHS prescription medicines are unitised @ £7.65 per item asking the actual price at the checkout is bound to meet with a blank stare as they simply do not have or need that information on a day to day basis. Since the business has had to buy them though if genuinely needed the prices will be a matter of record.

BTW, when collecting prescriptions in the UK always ask if the item(s) are prescription only. No sense in paying £7.65 for an item when off the shelf it's £1.99 !

I have taken a prepaid prescription, so it works out to about £10 a month, which is a lot cheaper than any mutualist we ever had. Would that I could get the prepaid thing for hospital parking.

They introduced paid parking at our local hospital in France, but patients did have a free hour.