Complete France Forum

Drs or hospital?

Gardener

I think I may have cracked a metatarsal, I have broken one before when I was lived the UK .

Will it make any difference to the eventual reimbursement if I go direct to the hospital and not to my GP first? If it is like the UK ,they didn't give me any treatment other than rest, but I may need a sicknote for work.

Sorry Norman missed your post thanks for the link.

Dr thought it was a metatarsal, foot and toes swollen and painful to walk but less so now, but said no need for x ray as like my experience in the UK they wouldn't do much. Tubigrip bandage and something to reduce the swellinga and that was it.

Powerdesal, perhaps it depends on which metatarsal is broke or they thought you were a premiership footie player!

I'd definitely go to the hospital. My wife broke a metatarsal a couple of years ago and I took her to the A&E of the local hospital. It was reassuring to have an x-ray which she wouldn't have got at the doctor's. The treatment was foot splint "boot" to be worn for several weeks plus a pair of crutches, and a nurse came every day to administer an anti-DVT injection. 

Archived