Complete France Forum

Hospital-based staph infections - statistics

Catalpa

Does anyone know whether France publishes statistics on hospitals / clinics and their levels and types of hospital-based infections?

OH had a hip replacement recently. Good surgeon, hip great, shame about the staph infection - not the MRSA variety, fortunately, and it has responded to a cocktail of antibiotics - but we'd rather like to do a bit of research before he goes to have the second hip done and perhaps choose a different hospital / polyclinic.

Innocent souls that we are, we asked our médecin traitant this afternoon but he just looked horrified that we should be asking for such information and said it wasn't available. And perhaps it isn't...? [8-)]

My waters tell me that you are about to go where angels fear to tread as, given that many clinics are semi-private and need to make money and that some hospitals are under threat, the knowledge that they are sewers of infection would lead to their demise. With consequences for employment and local communities. And local politicians who would not want this information 'out there' either.

Each year L'Express publishes a table of the safest hospitals for these infections 'infections nosocomials'

http://www.lexpress.fr/palmares/hopitaux/resultats.asp

I have also posted previously  the lists of the best centres for treatment for various pathologies according to Le Point; but obviously most pêople only look when something happens to them..

For the OP  Caen CHU Côte de Nacre has a good record in avoiding infection.

One of the problems in France comes from the ridiculous over-prescription of antibiotics which has led to strains of resistant bacteria.

Sorry to hear about Mr catalpa, but hope that the hip is all fine and the nasty Staph is beaten!

It appears that what little info there is, is concentrated on MRSA rather than other Staph infections. I've had a good look, and there are a few reports on MRSA in terms of distribution, but they're historical rather than current, and don't name names in terms of hospitals, rather dividing what little data there is between CHR/CHU and other types of hospital, and by number of beds. There's some data by region, but the whole remains vague and doesn't allow for the identification of individual hospitals.

You could try having more of a look around the InVS website, in particular this part, which may steer you towards a regional body you could try (emphatic "try") to contact and see if they hold any more precise or specific data:

[url]http://www.invs.sante.fr/Regions-et-territoires/Missions-des-Cire[/url]

That's an interesting observation, Wooly - and no doubt a factor in why there seems to be a lot of anecdotal opinion around (from nurses, ambulance drivers, etc) about the level of infections in hospitals but in OH's brief forays into online research, he wasn't coming up with much... though our internet connection is appalling at the moment and sometimes searches give up before delivering results with the little likelihood of actually loading a site - quite before trying to navigate around it.

Norman, I had seen your previously posted link to Le Point's annual reports but it didn't seem to have quite what we wanted but OH spent a bit of time last night looking at Le Express's information.

Thank you for your good wishes, Betty (good blog, btw - I often clickover) and P did have a rummage around the InVS site last night and got some good information - mainly that "our" polyclinic doesn't score well for a variety of reasons and the main hospital at Rennes (which we already knew was a well-regarded centre for hip ops) scores very well.

He has a follow up meeting with his surgeon next Friday so he'll discuss it with him then and at least he'll have a few facts to take with him. The irritating thing is, he was due to have had his second hip done on 24th April but the infection prevented that happening and it's likely that the surgeon will want a few more months to elapse before the second one can be done which means he can't work or even walk or do much because while the first hip is great, the second one - due to the level of inactivity, probably - is even worse now.

But he recovered [:D]...  and certainly, by the time he was wheeled back after his "clean-up" op, my fingernails were worn down to the first finger joint... having a houseful of cd'h guests didn't help, either...[:-))]

Thanks all - very helpful.

The Rennes CHU also scored well in L'Express's table, but I didn't quite realise where you are exactly.

For some reason when I clicked the link just now it didn't give the nice table that I had up when I posted it, but I am sure your husband can navigate around.

The HAS site is another interesting read.  This page is about patient safety but again one can happily 'surf' around

http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/jcms/c_6056/en/recherche-avancee?portlet=c_39085&search_antidot=&lang=en&cidsf=c_64708

The CHU Caen reference was just as useful, Norman - Rennes is about 20 minutes further away for us compared to Caen and our interest in Rennes is simply based on OH's kiné recommending Rennes as having an excellent reputation for hip operations.

Archived