Complete France Forum

Becoming an 'Ayant Droit'

Daft Doctor

Hi

My early retiree UK S1 expires in January 2014, so my entitlement to health cover for myself and my 11 year old through CPAM will come to an end.  My wife is however an autoentrepreneur, so gets her health cover in France through RSI (now Harmonie Mutuelle).  Both my son and I will qualify as ayants droit under my wifes cover with RSI from January, but I wondered how far in advance we can start the registration process, in order that we won't have a gap in cover.  I think from researching online there are a couple of forms to fill in and no doubt there will be the usual translated certification to produce, but am I right in thinking that as long as everything goes through eventually, if we don't get piggy-backed before the January deadline, it is simply a case of saving up the feuilles de soins and submitting them retrospectively?  I have a carte vitale and permanent social security number now, so is the same card useable once it has been updated with RSI as the new organisation administering the payments, or will I have to go through the process to apply for a new one?  Any advice or accounts of previous experience on becoming covered as an ayant droit would be most useful, thank you.  [:)]

Hi DD

I was in the same position as you last year, my S1 ran out January 2013. MrC has health cover as he has worked here in France. Like you I wanted to put things in motion to make sure I didn't have a gap in cover, and went to CPAM at the end of November with the completed ayant droit form plus the usual wheelbarrow full of documents, but was told it was too early, and to come back in January. We went again on January 2nd, handed over the forms and were told all was OK, and we received a letter from CPAM two weeks later confirming my cover as ayant droit. My new CV came soon after. So it was sorted out quickly and there was no gap in cover. Don't forget to inform your mutuelle, if you have one, of the change to your status, send them a copy of your new attestation.

Archived