Complete France Forum

supplements for a healthy skin

mint

Does anyone have any knowledge of any supplements (vitamins, minerals, witch doctor concoctions) that help to keep your skin healthy?

I have had a widespread fungal infection this summer and inexplicable rashes; also the conners of my mouth seem to be breaking down into cracks and fissures, my nails, particularly of the toes ,are full of ridges and look white and unhealthy.

Yes, I know, NOT an attractive appearance at all.  I am wondering if my diet could be lacking in anything?

I take a Vit B Complex pill everyday (to keep away biting insects, as advised on this very Forum) and my usual asthma drugs but that's about it.  I have not had any drastic changes to my diet so I don't understand why my skin is in such a poor state.

I have had plenty of reason to remember that the skin after all is the biggest organ in the body!  Lots do and have gone a bit out of kilter recently[+o(]  I don't think I am unduly stressed but I do just feel generally a little off-colour.  Can't be more specific but you do know when you aren't quite ticking over nicely, don't you?

Hello Sweet I found apple cider vinegar really good both externally and internally for skin and lots of conditions. You can mix it with honey Google it for different mixes. Proper witch doctor concotion but my father swore by it and lived until he was 92. I also found when I increased my milk intake that the nails and skin improved.

From experience does sound a liitle bit like stress, perhaps a blood test to put your mind at rest would not go amiss.

Thank you, Pommier and thank you, Poppy.

I will start taking a multi vitamin supplement so that it's all in my system before the winter!

Will research apple cider vinegar because I have heard that it's certainly good for many conditions but I will have to disguise the taste as I am not keen on vinegar of any kind (well, maybe a smidgeon of balsamic).

So, best foot forward and all that.....and I will do my utmost not to get stressed over trifles!

What has the toubib said? Just wondering, have you been tested for diabetes? that can be something associated with it, but not always ofcourse.

A woman I know, who is the friend of a friend had this a few years ago and it did take some time to get over it.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Will research apple cider vinegar because I have heard that it's certainly good for many conditions but I will have to disguise the taste as I am not keen on vinegar of any kind (well, maybe a smidgeon of balsamic).

So, best foot forward and all that.....and I will do my utmost not to get stressed over trifles!

[/quote]

You can buy apple cider vinegar in tablet form.[:)]

bonjour, les filles!

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and advice.

Id, I am sure it's not diabetes.  I'd know if I had something as serious as that as I am quite in tune with my body and I am not, generally speaking, in favour of going to the toubib unless it's really called for.

Christine, I do like the idea of spirulina and I have ordered some capsules from Amazon.

Hey, Pat, I did go to the Dead Sea and I think some photos exist of me covered in black mud standing by one of those showers they have on the beach!  It was the most amazing fun, that trip we did (can't remember how long ago though!); great fun that is until we had to dodge bullets in the main square in Bethlehem!

I do believe that the fungal condition is now under control.  Talk about hydratantes, etc. I now used grape seed oil on my face and neck (apparently all the rage amongst Hollywood starlets, LOL) and good old vaseline seems to be excellent for dry skin of the feet.

I think I'd like to boost the immune system a bit though, especially before the winter. 

As an aside, does anyone know when the flu vaccine is going to be in at the pharmacie?

• 2 years later...
Minnie, I've given myself the flu jab but it feels strange doing it in warm, sunny weather.

I think I've had some posts removed, doesn't matter, I was just wittering on about this and that.

Get it done ASAP; apparently it takes a few days before being effective.

Is this only a 'girly' thread or can anyone join in???

This bloke doesn't always come up with good stuff, but a lot of what he says makes sense and this could be a fun imune booster?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/12/happiness-laughter-immune-boosters.aspx

He also raves about garlic. We like it raw in a salad and sod everyone else, it does you good. If you search for 'imune boosters' on his site there's LOADS there

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/11/how-to-supercharge-your-immune-system.aspx

we also use the grapefruit seed oil and I find it very good for a fungal infection i get under my big toe nails.

I'd suggest apple cider vinegar - a splosh in a glass of cold water. I actually prefer this to drinking wine, if you get theproportion right it can be really refreshing and slightly acidic, like a white wine. Sip it regularly, you get used to the taste.

And don't forget cod liver oil. Last year I took some to try and avoid an inflammation (slightly crazy idea!) and took 1 tablespoon neat from the bottle, every day. If you pour it near the back of your throat and swallow, then you don't get the taste and it actually isn't that bad (although a burp afterwards can be unpleasant). But a week of that and my skin was lovely, you could see the difference. And I felt brilliant. It's packed full of vitamins. Just for skin alone (and if you're constipated!) then get some cod liver oil from the chemist!

Good luck.

[quote user="Patf"]Persuade your husband to take you on holiday to the Dead Sea, and have a mud treatment.

Seriously though, I find E45 cream is very good, also marigold cream.

[/quote]

One of the things that I am using at the mo is the E45 emolient hand wash as I get an attack of dermititus on my hands at times, one being now, and the skin is cracking on the inside of my left thumb. Due to working on aircraft in the hydraulic oils and fuels. It helps a great deal. It feels a bit greasy when you wash your hands, but just dry them and it leaves some E45 on them. A very good protection.

So now you can have hands that do housework that feel as soft as yer donkey [8-)] That ain't how the old advert used to go init already [:-))] was it a-s-s ? [:$] [:$]

Back to cod liver oil - yes I was force fed the stuff as a kid as well. But actually it's not that bad ... the trick is to spoon it to the back of your throat and swallow so you don't really taste it (but like I said, the burps can be unpleasant). then a glass of orange juice to swill it down. Doesn't bother me now and my skin is glowing!

Echo JonzJobs re E45, excellent stuff. Mr. Nectarine has dry skin and reckons this is good stuff.

I forgot to say that the E45 Wash is great for getting oil and ink stains out of clothes and off yer hands too. If it's on clothing then BEFORE you try anything else just rub a drop of the 'Wash' into the stain and rinse it out. If you try washing it out first then the 'Wash' won't work and you will be stuck with the stain.

On yer hands, just wash them with the 'Wash' and it will almost certainly come clean [8-|][8-|][8-|]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]I forgot to say that the E45 Wash is great for getting oil and ink stains out of clothes and off yer hands too. If it's on clothing then BEFORE you try anything else just rub a drop of the 'Wash' into the stain and rinse it out. If you try washing it out first then the 'Wash' won't work and you will be stuck with the stain.

On yer hands, just wash them with the 'Wash' and it will almost certainly come clean [8-|][8-|][8-|]

[/quote]

Real men use "swarfega" ...

for hands, showering, hair, clothes ...