Complete France Forum

Transferring messages

Hello Kind people,

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how I can transfer my email messges from one PC running windows 98 to a new French PC with windows XP. Both machines have IE version 6. I have managed to move the address book but am strugglng to import the messages from all folders to the new machine. I have searched using the magnifying glass but as yet have not found an answer.

Great forum BTW!

Hi

You need to search for the .pst file (outlook.pst). Copy this over from one machine to the other. This only works with Outlook and not Outlook Express, I cannot remember what the file is for Outlook Express - so I may be leading you up the wrong tree.

If you are using two versions of Outlook you will need to import the files - you need to read help on whichever version you are using.

Another comment, if you are backing up your .PST file (or your Outlook Express file - which I hope everyone does on a regular basis...) it is in a hidden folder in XP. Make sure when you do a search that you search for hidden files and folders.

Being used to Lotus Notes, I use my Outlook file as a giant filing cabinet and probably have every important e-mail I have ever sent. I archive regularly and name the archive files, these are found in the same folder as outlook.pst and I back these up also on a weekly basis - I could live without most of my other files, I cannot live without these and when my hard-disk got fried in the UK, I had backups so could continue working on another machine while I replaced the hard disk in the main machine.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

LAST EDITED ON 13-May-04 AT 11:26 AM (BST)

If you click on help on the desktop and enter "files and settings" you can click on the files and settings transfer wizard which will take you through the process to transfer settings from one computer to another.

Regards Les

Archived