Complete France Forum

ISP software in Frane

A word of advice, when choosing a new computer don’t listen to the younger generation, especially a son with a 1st in programming about how awful Microsoft is and how wonderful Linux is and be tempted by the stunning appearance of the Power Books.  I had spent the last 10 years learning just about every Microsoft trick in the book only now to be back at square one.  And worst still the mouse won’t scroll and there is no right clicking.  Having said that it does look great but I don’t get any sympathy and am told to stop moaning every time I can’t do something.

Being a glutton for punishment I am taking afore mentioned Power Book for its first outing to France this weekend and want to get on the web via the land line but not sure where to start.  I think I need to do the following but would be grateful for any guidance. 

Chose an ISP, but without being connected I won’t be able to download the s/w so how do I find this.  Am I likely to be able to find a free disk on in a French computer magazine, if not where do I get one from?

Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

Diana

Linux *on* a Powerbook - much better

You should be able to find a CD with the software on it when you get here - but I'm not sure how many of them put out Mac software.. Best bet is to just set up a normal dial-up, rather than using the software, after-all, the software tends to clog alot anyway..

By the way, to right click, press the apple button down then click the mouse - welll, on older mac OS versions anyway. Let me know how you get on with the power book, I'm thinking about buying one!

Tim

Tim

"Best bet is to just set up a normal dial-up, rather than using the software, after-all, the software tends to clog alot anyway.."

My question is how do I set up a normal dial-up for the first time?

As for the PowerBook I am sure if you are familar with Apples it is the best thing since sliced bread.  My son bought himself the top of the range one in the States earlier in the year and he thinks it is wonderful!

Diana

Ok, well if you click on the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen, then go to systesm preferences, then go to the network pane (should that be ai?) and click on the PPPoe jobby.. Once you've made it thus far, the rest is easyish.. Enter the phone number, user ID and passwords for you ISP into the corresponding boxes and voila..

I'm not actually a mac owner, I'm just a fan and after one myself..

Tim

[quote]Tim "Best bet is to just set up a normal dial-up, rather than using the software, after-all, the software tends to clog alot anyway.." My question is how do I set up a normal dial-up for the first t...[/quote]

My son bought himself the top of the range one in the States earlier in the year and he thinks it is wonderful!

He's right...

[quote]Ok, well if you click on the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen, then go to systesm preferences, then go to the network pane (should that be ai?) and click on the PPPoe jobby.. Once you've made i...[/quote]

Diana,

Tim is almost right. After you opened the network pane, select internal modem. Fill in you details and if you need help use Apple's excellent help system, it's there, it's easy and very helpful!.

Close de preferences, look or do a search for a little program called 'Internet Contact'. Start it up. Your details should be there under the Internal Modem tab. Click connect and off you go.

The PPPe option tim mentioned is used for an ethernet connection such as for an ethernet ASDL modem and not applicable to your phone connection.

--

Tink (22)

Tink, I think you mean 'Internet Connect' - that's the icon of a phone in the top menubar, assuming you are using any system after 8. Click on it and you will get a drop-down menu. You will not use this if you have a Broadband modem, however, which is set up through Ethernet.

[quote]Tink, I think you mean 'Internet Connect' - that's the icon of a phone in the top menubar, assuming you are using any system after 8. Click on it and you will get a drop-down menu. You will not use th...[/quote]

Dick of course, I'm sorry. Must have been the late hour. ;-)

The icon in the menu bar is not always there unless you check the box ' Show status in menu bar' in Internet Connect. That's why I wrote to start up the program 'Internet Connect'.

BTW I have ADSL(via Ethernet) and do use Internet Connect to connect and disconnect.

--

Tink (22)

Archived