Complete France Forum

Unwanted toolbar

Can anyone help me get rid of a very irritating little horizontal toolbar that comes up whenever I open my browser, please?

The trouble is - it likes to hang around! When I minimize my browser, or open another application, it is still there. I can't drag it, I can't close it, and it just gets in the way.

There are 7 icons:

Insert a smiley in email message

Insert a stamp "

Insert a signature "

Change background colour

Change cursor

Select screen saver image

- and the last one is picture of a spanner, which is supposed to activate 'help' but simply locks the screen up.

I have just installed ADSL and the french version of AOL9, and the pc runs under windoze ME.

Any help appreciated 'cos it's driving me nuts. . .

Thanks

David

Thanks Andrew - just tried that, but it didn't work.

I suspect you are right - it's probably an aol thing, but it's only happened since I installed ADSL and the french version of AOL the other day

It wasn't there under english version of aol, and using dial-up.

- and I'm stuck with aol for a 12 month contract. . . (although to be fair, I've been with aol for the last 2 years and it's been OK for what I need)

Cheers

David

I don’t have AOL, so cannot comment from personal experience, however I doubt if it’s anything to do with your installation of AOL 9.0, it’s more likely as PeterW suggests that a Spyware or Adware programme has found its way on to your PC.

Spybot should be able to identify the problem programme, another option as you are using Windows ME is to “restore” your PC to the way it was on a date prior to the toolbar causing the problem.

Do you know when the toolbar first started appearing?  If so you can “restore” your PC by using “System Restore” in START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS.

You select a date before the problem began – Windows then “restores” your PC to the way it was on that date.  Note it will remove any programmes but NOT any data saved since that date.  (Maybe you’d have to re-install AOL plus any other applications?).

If it doesn’t work, you can put your system back to the current settings the same way.

BTW – do you have up to date firewall / anti-virus software?  It’s well worthwhile keeping your defences up to date.

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of installing the AIM/AOL Messenger and not only did it install the AOL Messenger but I got loads of other stuff I did not want installed without choice at the same time. Some of this stuff set of my Spyware stuff.

Unfortunately, un-installing the AOL Messenger only un-installed the messenger and not all the other rubbish it had installed. It took me several hours to trawl through what was installed on the computer, track as to when it was installed and then get rid of it.

I have now vowed to never touch AOL stuff again as I detest such an attitude – the “we will put what we want on your computer without asking or telling you and we may then remove information from your computer without asking or telling you”.

Anyway, you may well be suffering a similar thing. I wish you luck. You might consider ditching AOL is they do this type of thing to your computer.

Sorted!

I clicked on one or two of the icons in the toolbar and found a reference to 'my websearch (smiley central)' and when I checked in 'control panel' in 'add/remove programs' - sure enough, there it was. . .

I'm sure you're right 'I1', it must have been installed along with either the ADSL or the AOL9 software the other day.

Bit naughty, isn't it? I understand the passions raised regarding AOL, but they are no more guilty than say, Microsoft, in inflicting things on us that we may not need, or want.

Cheers

david

Archived