Complete France Forum

Multi-standard TV

Hi there,

I plan to move to France with my wife and children around June next year. We have a 28" widescreen Toshiba television, purchased in the UK, and have Sky Digital, which we intend to also use in France (we'll register it with a UK address).

As far as our TV set goes, I am led to believe by reading posts on this forum that it is unlikely to be multi-standard, so will not be any good for watching French TV (although will be OK for Sky). So, I have the following questions:

1. How can I find out for definite if our existing TV works with Secam as well as PAL?

2. If I want to buy a multi-standard TV to replace our current PAL one, should I buy one in the UK before moving to France, or in France once we've moved over?

3. Will our existing DVD and VCR work in France, for recording and playing back both PAL and SECAM programmes?

Thanks,

Rob

How can I find out for definite if our existing TV works with Secam as well as PAL?

Some Toshiba sets are multi-standard but may still not work in France, if you look in your manual there will be a telephone number for the Toshiba help desk who are very helpful and they will give you a definitive answer,

If I want to buy a multi-standard TV to replace our current PAL one, should I buy one in the UK before moving to France, or in France once we've moved over?

Unlike the UK, virtually all TV's sold in France are multi-standard and the prices are competitive so buy in France.

Baz

Hi,

hope this helps.....

1. How can I find out for definite if our existing TV works with Secam as well as PAL?

A - try typing the model number into Google and you are quite likely to find a page listing the technical specification of that model. The Toshiba web site may be more direct route though.

2. If I want to buy a multi-standard TV to replace our current PAL one, should I buy one in the UK before moving to France, or in France once we've moved over?

A - you will need to do your homework and check out the tech specs before buying. Some brands such as Thomson & Philips tend to be multi standard (maybe as the sets are often made in France ?!)

3. Will our existing DVD and VCR work in France, for recording and playing back both PAL and SECAM programmes?

A - Your DVD will play back pre-recorded discs without a problem. Your VCR is also likely to be single standard, i.e. PAL, so recordings of French TV will be in B&W.

With VCRs being so cheap now I would recommend buying either a multi standard box in the UK (again do your homework first) or waiting and buy one in France. I know from personal experience that French purchased VCRs play back UK pre-recorded videos in colour on both UK PAL and French SECAMS sets.

Hope this helps.

Archived