Complete France Forum

Wireless BB for Apple and Windows

This really is another one of my totally stupid questions re internet connections in France.

We still have the dial up AOL pay monthly subscription in France. I don’t want to cancel this until I have found another way to connect.

For our next few visits over the next 3 months I would like just a simple pay as you go service, so how do I find a number to get the modem to dial?

Once I have managed to do this I will cancel AOL.

That was the easy bit! When we are there much more often next year I would like a wireless connection for broadband. Many UK BB suppliers do not support both Apple and Windows and for them both to be wireless (Pipex do). So can anyone suggest a French BB provider who will be able to let me have the Apple, PC and wireless all at the same time?

At work I connect via a high speed network so we have not bothered with BB at home so I can’t say exactly how the Pipex set up works. I am still not sure if I can use the free Pipex BB modem or if I will need the Apple Airport thing at the best part of £150.

This whole subject makes me start to ramble and slur my words so before I get myself and everyone else even more confused can someone please advise.

Thank you

Diana

I don't know what happened to this paragraph it did not come out the way I typed it.

At work I connect via a high speed network so we have not bothered with BB at home so I can’t say exactly how the Pipex set up works. I am still not sure if I can use the free Pipex BB modem or if I will need the Apple Airport thing at the best part of £150.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think I am.

The Pipex modem will not be Airport equipped, it will just be a modem. Whatever system you choose to use you will need a wireless transmitter/base station.

Apple have two options, Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/uk/airport/) and Airport Extreme. Express is considerably cheaper. I discussed this with a Techie at Blueyonder BB and he told me that Express works fine. Software is available free from Apple to connect Macs and PCs to the base station.

It would be best to discuss this with Pipex, though, as I can't speak for their compatibilities.

In the far off days of my broadband service i used a DSL barricade router and modem and than just plugged it into my airport base station. Bob yours auntie. It all took about 10 minutes to set up. It also meant i could use wireless conection and a usb one with my old laptop.

in the Uk my Apple connects fine to a genenric (SMC Barricade 7404) - all you need to do is correctly configure a combined ADSl modem/router/firewall (all-in-one-box). Other options are available but this is the easiest. Wireless / WIFI / 802.11b/g are standards and often ISPs don't go to the expense of training their staff to support Macs & PCs.

As long as the ISP will support a generic box (i.e. doesn't insist on their own ADSL hardware) it's just a matter of configuring it - you should be OK.

[from the horse's mouth - the OH is sooo much better at hardware than me!!]

Hi

we have just gone to wanadoo broadband 2mb and they offer a 'Livebox' which is basically a WiFi router, we have both PC and Mac running off this but the Mac needs to be run on a normal intranet cable, we can't get it to WiFi as yet, but other than that both work well

40€ a month unlimited, FT have only just put broadband in here so they are not letting any of the other suppliers play as yet it would appear

Good luck

[quote]Hi we have just gone to wanadoo broadband 2mb and they offer a 'Livebox' which is basically a WiFi router, we have both PC and Mac running off this but the Mac needs to be run on a normal intranet cab...[/quote]

Yesterday I phoned Wanadoo and they explained to me the set up you have and suggested the option of having the Apple connected via a cable. Two points here, firstly the Apple is 10.3 and Wanadoo only support up to 9, and the Apple is a laptop so that would really benefit from being wireless.

Thanks again

Diana

I wonder why people have so much trouble with networks? They are perfectly straightforward: you couldn't wish for anything more logical.

If you want to do anything more than connect one machine to ADSL then don't use a modem supplied by an ISP. They are mostly cheap rubbish, though suitable for that simple task. The only exception is if you want the free VOIP phone option, in which case you have to use their modem, even if it is rubbish.
If you want a network then just buy a proper modem for it. For about 100E you can get a perfectly decently ADSL modem/wireless router that will work with any PC and any Mac that has any sort of wireless card or any RJ45 network socket, regardless of the version of the OS. Such a modem will be compatible with all ISPs in Europe and all PCs and all Macs. There are no exceptions and that even includes AOL.

Asking advice from the ISP's support line is a complete waste of time and money: the little they know is confined to their own equipment and mostly they just answer by rote.
If you want a proper solution that works then ask a professional for his advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say thanks for the advice. I decided to go with Zen for 2 reasons. Firstly you are not obliged to subscribe for a full year and secondly you buy your own modem and routers etc. which means I could get a wireless router which is compatible with a new Apple and an old PC. I have just received notification that the line will become live today.

Diana

Archived