Complete France Forum

more satellite advice please!

Help please!!

I’ve got a digibox (was for Sky and has card with little house logo) and satellite dish and tried to set this up at our house in Brittany to at least get BBC and a few other channels in English. No success in spite of carefully trying to align the dish with compass etc. (I tested it before in the Uk so the digibox is OK)

I then borrowed a digibox (Atlantis, I believe it’s a “freeview” box, no slot for card) from a French neighbour and attached this to dish and TV. This box has a list of all the satellites and a display to show the strength of the signal. We couldn’t get Astra 2 but we managed to get Hotbird, very strong signal but most channels in German or Italian. So ……. Is Hotbird anywhere near Astra 2? Were we on the right track?

Bernice

Hotbird is quite a distance (anglularly-speaking) from Astra2, which is at 28.2 deg E (of south), which is where you should point your dish. Depending on where you are in France, you will need a vertical angle of about 30 deg, but note that this is difficult to measure, as, with the dish vertical, you are not at 0 (or 90) degrees.

Best bet is to buy yourself a sat meter (10E), or get someone (like your local TV shop) to set it up for you.

Archived