Complete France Forum

Are QWERTY keyboards no longer available in France?

I've been trying to buy a QWERTY keyboard portable but have found that Dell and other vendors no longer seem to provide the option on their internet sites. Same problem with the Palmone Tungsten C. Buying from their UK sites requires a UK delivery address (and account). Anyone know of an answer without having to travel to the UK?

[quote]E-Bay??? Possibly?[/quote]

I tried a French board after UK board went up the swannee and could manage as only a few keys in the L/H corner and of course the M are different, however, it drove me up the pole after a while so tried E bay, as Media player boards are all the rage, got  a decent QWERTY board for a £1 plus £6 P&P to France, so worth a look.

The high risk option is to :

1. Prise the relevant keys off the key board such as Z,W and Q and put them back down on the UK/US positions.

2. Then set the keyboard/clavier option to UK or US

This will not work with membrane keyboards but is OK on others, should risk only Euros 10 for normal keyboard 

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Acquiring a separate keyboard for a portable computer seems rather to defeat the machine's inherent purpose. I've also noticed that Dell and other internet suppliers offer a QWERTY option for portables on their Belgium French language web sites, with the same power cords as those used here. However they refuse to deliver in France. Two conclusions ensue from this little research and thanks to your help: 1- We have to buy within the UK (or Belgium) 2- We are seeing the return of trade barriers in the EU.

Archived