Complete France Forum

Hi

I'm planning on moving to France this summer and would like to know if UK tv's, dvd players and videos work ok in France. I currently rent them in the UK and having looked at the prices in France thought it was probably slightly cheaper to buy them here before I leave. I also have a Sky digibox and reading this forum it seem that it'll work in France although I'll probably need a bigger dish (and I don't tell Sky I'm in France!).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Hi

If you don't have a UK TV, buy one here in France because; a) There is little difference in cost in France, b) you can guarantee it will work with the (different) French TV system. c) You get an enforceable guarantee.

Your DVD player & your digibox will work (but via an RGB SCART lead only, but you probably do this anyway), your video probably won't (but they only cost 6s 3d here, should you actually want one). You will only need your standard $ky dish (unless you are in the very south).

HTH!

My understanding is that the UK uses the PAL system and France uses SECAM, so a UK TV will not work in France. Interestingly most French TVs are dual SECAM/PAL so any PAL video tapes you have will work OK with a French TV.

Patrick

I have a UK philips TV and it works perfectly - if connected up to a cable box (I use Noos).

I "think" it is because it is a dual NTSC and PAL tv (and the cable broadcast NRSC).

This really was a very pleasant surprise!

Failing that, there are PAL/SECAM SECAM/PAL converters - but these can be very expensive.

-Rob-

[quote]I have a UK philips TV and it works perfectly - if connected up to a cable box (I use Noos). I "think" it is because it is a dual NTSC and PAL tv (and the cable broadcast NRSC). This really was a ve...[/quote]

Likewise with my Philips - I guess it is cheaper for them to make 1 version for all of Europe (& they are a "European" company).

BUT, convertors (unless they are broadcast standard & about 10x more expensive than the TV) are useless. Besides which, the OP does not have a TV, so why he buy one in the UK?

Archived