Complete France Forum

Wi-Fi prob - desktop to laptop

Ive tried and tried but I cant do it

they are connected (desktop XP pro SP1, 802.11g - Laptop XP home SP2, 802.11b)

but cant see either machine in workgroup - no sharing, I click view workgroup computer and it goes into the network (MSHOME) and only displays that machine not the other.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

I think you need to sort out if its an RF (WiFi/802.11) problem or Operating System problem.

Can you “ping” one machine from the other (i.e on one machine, type IPCONFIG to a command window which will tell you that computers IP address. On the other computer then type in PING ). If you get a response then it’s a “sharing problem”. If you get no response then it’s a network/firewall issue.

(Above is simplified to keep instructions short). Unfortunately there are so many different possible configurations, firewalls, etc. that it can be quite difficult to say what might be wrong. Start by narrowing down as above.

I tried ping on desktop (0.1) but only came back with 0.1

Ive tried looking for this wep enable disable but cant find it, did see wep key (?) but didnt need it, might be thinking of something else now

did use cable network previously so the shared files and printer are there

Laptop has 802.11b built in, desktop is usb stick 802.11g, disabled ethernet as well to try

they do connect tho, if firewall enabled it wont allow me into MSHOME, disable it and it does

Archived