Complete France Forum

Keeping AOL Email address

We are moving house soon and I would like to keep my AOL email address, I don't seem to be able to find on AOL how I tell them of a change of telephone number. We wont be moving directly to our new house and may have to change the number twice in a short period of time, has anybody else done this recently? 

Sorry, I cannot help you with the AOL telephone number, but, I think that this has been posted before so a search for AOL on this area may give you the results you want.

One point about living in France and having an AOL account is that AOL does not allow mail from all French Tiscali addresses as and when they feel like it. I am not sure if the restriction is currently in action as I have paid to have an address that it acceptable to AOL (I have clients on AOL). I am helping my clients move from AOL as they now realise just how much work they are missing as people get their AOL mail bounced with a ?550 message. Tiscali is a major ISP in France.

I do hope that this information is helpful as the content is a little off topic.

I didn't think there was any need to tell AOL if you are moving to a different telephone number? I've been with the flat fee AOL UK first offer from years ago. When I relocated to France I carried on using my UK software, downloaded upgrades and connected through the French free numbers as I would when travelling with the laptop anywhere in the world. Is it different for French AOL users?

Over the last four years I have carried on using UK AOL and have had no problem at all. Wherever I travel to, I just jack in to the phoneline, update locations on the setup page, check the country I'm in and get the freenumbers that give unlimited international use. Most UK based AOL clients moving to France should be able to connect up as if they'd never left home... at least until they learn enough french to be able to handle the Wanadoo homepage, anyway!!

Thank you for that advice, but unfortunately I am still a little confused. I thought that when our current AOL was set up we gave address and telephone details etc etc as we pay 17 euros a month for up to 60 hours use a month.

We have had additional charges (very small) on our France telcom bill for telechargements from the internet. Which is why I am thinking that I need to tell AOL of the change of telephone number. If it is possible to just plug into any telephone line I would really like to know. I am no computer expert, Tiffanys method sounds quite complicted with my computer knowledge I just need plug in turn on and go! 

[quote]Thank you for that advice, but unfortunately I am still a little confused. I thought that when our current AOL was set up we gave address and telephone details etc etc as we pay 17 euros a month for u...[/quote]

No, I've thrown you a blind ball... your account is different to mine. I pay AOL a flat fee for unlimited use. When I moved to France there was no requirement to change the account to a French one as it remained registered at my old UK address and the payments continued at the same £15 rate. AOL Unlimited software provides access to the Freephone number in whatever country you are visiting. I just plug in, ask the sign on screen for setup numbers and go straight to the UK homepage.

Find out on your opening page of AOL software (sign on screen)  if you can change the location of your dialup account... this should be easy. You can also access your AOL account from other computers simply by going to AOL.fr or AOL.co.uk and logging on to your account address from any other Internet Provider.

Archived