Complete France Forum

Two computers 1 ISP

I have been with my dial up Wanadoo ISP for years now with one machine. I have recently updated to a new computer bought in UK. I have been trying to configure it to my old Wanadoo ISP with a disc. All is installed with the right information etc, its connecting ok via the modem but continually gives me the 'cannot find server' message.I have checked all the settings which are OK as the old machine. I don't want to use the two machines together just transfer my existing ISP usage to the new machine but for some reason it will not connect me to the server. I have tried ringing Wanadoo who cannot explain the problem satisfactorily.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Most grateful for any advice.

It should be possible to configure your Wanadoo ISP connection manually - try looking in the FAQ section of this forum where Mazan has given a 'how to do it' guide. ISP discs, particularly Wanadoo, are notorious for creating problems (AOL is the only exception, as you have no alternative but to use the CD, as I understand it).

Sorry if this doesn't solve the problem

Thanks for your suggestions Will but after 3 days of frustration I have today discovered the source of my problem.

It may be relevant to other members of the forum who buy a computer in UK and bring it to France and try and connect to an existing or even new server in France.

Modern UK computers come with Norton Personal Firewall pre installed. If you have this on your machine disable all the functions before you try and connect to your server in France. Otherwise you cannot connect. I can only speculate on the reasons. Perhaps the software is not compatible with French servers. However save yourself the hours, ney days of agony I have just experienced trying to discover a solution to problems the French servers seem oblivious to.

Many expensive minutes on premium rate phone lines trying to get some solutions from Wanadoo in particular proved hopeless. In the end my wife who is not computer literate happened to suggest "perhaps those thingies that protect the computer from viruses might be blocking the server"?.............. Bless, why had I not thought of it?

Disable all the functions and walla!! Pat problem.

Archived