Complete France Forum

Wrong "From..." address on my emails

I have set up about four different "accounts" (I think that's the right term) within Outlook Express, so that if I am working for magazine No 1, then I can direct mail to one inbox, using its name before the @ sign of my email address, and can also write using that mag's name as the header for my email; ditto for mag No 2; ditto for my personal emails, etc.

It works fine on the whole. BUT...
whenever I click on "reply" - no matter to which account the original email was sent - the "from" address of my new email *always* appears as that of magazine No4 (the last one in alphabetical order, as it happens). 
Of course, I try and remember to double-check the top of any email I am writing before I press "Send", and to use the drop-down menu to amend the name in the "From" slot to the one I want to use (i.e. the same one as that on the email to which I am replying).  But sometimes I forget, and then have to write again to the baffled recipients explaining my oversight and why they  have apparently received an email from a magazine they have never heard of...

If I create a *new* email, on the other hand, the default "from" address always appears as that of my personal email address, which is fine.  It's only when I click on *reply* that I have the problem.

I have hunted back and forth through the Account options, but can't find anything obvious.
Does any of you geniuses out there have a solution?

Angela 

I use Entourage, but it's much the same thing as Outlook. I just tried to create a new account with the same settings as an exisiting account but a different name, but it doesn't want to know. That seems to be due to my ISP (Blueyonder) rather than Entourage. I have had a lot of trouble setting up multiple email addresses in the past, however with my Demon dial-up account it is quite possible, allegedly, but I've never managed to get that to work either. Have you tried having several different Outlooks, each with different settings - or is that a recipe for disaster?

Yes, David, I do have the option of choosing from the drop down menu - I probably didn't explain myself very well in my first post.

But - perhaps naively - I expected that if I was clicking on "reply" to something that had come to me addressed to one specific account, that the "from" address when I reply to that mail would automatically appear as if from that account too.

I do always try and remember to check what it says in the From line before pressing "Send", and to select from the drop-down menu if necessary, but sometimes I forget - which leads to some surprises for my correspondents!

Angela (85 and UK)

Archived