Complete France Forum

Looking for an occasional use free ISP, someone recommended LaPoste.net however I just logged in to that and after signing up found that they are no longer going to be in the ISP business after the end of this month! Anyone have an alternative recommendation? I have been using Free.fr but it is almost never available. (Tried searching the forum for this info but the search facility is not responding - sorry!)

Steve

Thanks Jon... 

I have signde up on the Tiscali site, however now find that while it has changed my home page to Tiscali's, the phone nunber to dial up doesn't work - it's coming up as

00 33 8 <?=substr(0860015555,2)?>

Not sure what it should be.... looks like the 0860 015555. I was expecting some kind of confirmation message on my previous email address as it asked for that - did you get one do you recall?

Regards

Steve

Phone number is 860015555. Make sure you put no spaces in.

I use Tiscali and have done so for 18 months. Normally no problem, just the odd day when I have trouble but I have alternative ISP's and get more trouble from them. Hope that this helps.

Many thanks... I get their modem to respond but using the downloaded dialer it rejects my username and password.The username the dialer shows is not the one I put for my email but a variation on it, which starts with some quotes and looks like an email address with some elements of the one I asked for. e.g.

<?xxxxnnnn@tiscali.fr?>   where xxxx is 4 consecutive letters from my name and nnnn is 4 digits of which I don't know the origin.   I tried variations on that e.g. leaving out the quotes and question marks but no joy.

There is no password shown at this point so I enter the one I gave on signing up.

Later.... OK it now works OK with  xxxxnnnn@tiscali.fr bit as the username , don't know why it wouldn't before but now online OK. Many thanks for the help folks.

Steve  

Just a caution for Iceni and slast. The number you quoted 0860015555 could be the wrong one to use and could cost you extra. I use Tiscali unlimited and when I first started; for 2 months I used that number to get on to the Internet. I was shocked when I got the telephone account from French Telecom, to find that all my calls to Tiscali were being charged again by FT.

After repeated phone calls and e mails, it was made clear to me that I was using the wrong number to call. I should have been using 0860095557;  in fact I was paying twice for the same service. In my case Euros70.

So check it out as you could be caught in the same trap as I was. Please let me know if I am proved right!

0860 internet numbers don't go through the discount providers like Onetel etc - you will find the calls listed on your France Telecom bill. The thought strikes me that it may be different if you are in a 'degrouped' area but normally you have to have a FT line whover provides your calls.

I think I am right in saying that the Tiscali free service is not actually free. Their ads are as usual misleading. You actually pay 0.02 centimes HT per minute of connection via your France Telecom bill. So if you average say 10 hours a week on the web it gets quite expensive comparatively to the 'forfaits'

• What I failed to mention earlier; I think that I must have mentally blotted out the memory!  As I use Onetel as well as France Telecom, somehow I was charged by both companies on top of my monthly charge with Tiscali.
  •  This was because Onetel omitted to advise France Telecom that I was using their service. In fact I was paying three times for the same service. (Quelle fromage!, as Del boy would say!)
  • You have to watch and check everything over here especially if you are a little deficient in the French language department!

Lautrec

Archived