Complete France Forum

Free telephone calls via ADSL

I managed to get the ADSL working last weekend with a Freebox from Free.fr. My husband recently became partially sighted with macular degeneration and can no longer do the technical stuff so it was a bit of a struggle with the instructions in French and trying to get everything connected but it seems to be working okay.

I then chose a phone number on line and so am now ready to get all calls in the hexaqon free and cheaper international calls. But how do I do it? In the info I was informed that I have 2 numbers (the new one and my France Telecom one) so when dialling out how does the phone know I am using my new Free.fr number?

There is a phone socket on the back of the freebox. Is this the one for the new number? What about the phone in the other socket downstairs? Is this the France Telecom number? I suppose receiving calls is no different so there's no point giving the new number to people.

Please can anyone tell me what to do?

Also if I buy a new French phone with a couple of hand sets can I just plug it into a separate phone socket (with a filter of course)?
Do you still have to watch how many RENs with ADSL?

I know there will be members who will know all about it and a simple explanation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

There is a phone socket on the back of the freebox. Is this the one for the new number?

Yes. This is where you plug your phone in to get free calls plus 3cts international calls.

What about the phone in the other socket downstairs? Is this the France Telecom number?

Yes. This is your standard FT line, where calls come in and you can dial out at full cost via FT.

I suppose receiving calls is no different so there's no point giving the new number to people.

We don't.

Please can anyone tell me what to do?

Also if I buy a new French phone with a couple of hand sets can I just plug it into a separate phone socket (with a filter of course)?

Do you still have to watch how many RENs with ADSL?

Yes, you still have to watch the RENs with ADSL.

We bought a small box from www.boxtoo.com and a DECT phone with 3 handsets, by plugging the Free connection and the FT connection into the Boxtoo adapter, we now have a system where all phones accept incoming calls from any source but dial out via Free at no charge. We keep one phone plugged into the FT socket for making calls when the power fails or where Free will not connect ie the FT 1013 service.

Archived