Complete France Forum

French TV Licence - Do I require one?

Hi there!

Apologies if this subject has been dealt with before, but can anyone help me with a query regarding the French TV licence. I have recently received a French TV licence questionnaire/reminder.

At our house in France we have an exterior TV aerial, but no French TV. 
We have a small British made TV/Video combi that we use to watch the occasional video.
I have two questions:

1) Are we still liable for a French TV licence?

2) If I removed the exterior terrestrial aerial completely and installed a satellite receiver and dish (purchased in this country) to watch free to view digital channels, would I still be liable for the French licence? Or would the satellite system be exempt?

Because I have not yet retired, I only manage to visit the house three or four times per year. If I am liable to purchase a licence whatever 'rig' I have on the outside of the house, I am tempted to take down the aerial and stick with our little TV/Video. I am reluctant to pay over the odds for a service I do not use even if it means missing dubbed reruns of the 70's American classic: "The Love Boat"!!!  

(My French neighbour Simone used to love that series!)

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. 

Matelot

I think/hope this summarises a rather long recent thread....

Owning equipment capable of receiving TV signals means you need a license (any standard TV will have a receiver in it). I do not know of any Video / TV combi units which do not have a receiver in them.

However, self contained DVD players do exist (both freestanding and in a PC), as they do not have a receiver in them you do not need a license (unless of course you have fitted a TV tuner card in your PC - if you have, take it out before you cross the channel).

There are some exceptions, but from what you've said, I don't think your circumstances fit.

[quote]It just being a tv means that you will have to pay, no matter what you watch or how often. They have recently changed the system and it will be included in our taxe d'habitation bills from now on.[/quote]

This isn't stricly true. Once you get to 65 you are exonerated from paying a TV licence although that's not your case. I think you have to wait until 70 if you pay fortune tax...

However, it is indeed possible to have your TV "de-tunered" by a professional; this is meant to be free but apparently isn't always the case. However, this person can supply you with a certificate that you can then produce for the licensing authorities to be exonerated from paying a licence. I'd go to a Boulanger or Darty and ask them if they will do it.

Katie

Have just been dealing with this so it's very apposite...  I had a letter saying it WILL be included in the taxe d'habitation, unless I send back the form for exemption on the grounds that I don't have a TV, or alternatively that I am covered by one at my parents' home! Which makes it very easy.

More intriguing was one sent from a different office because the title to the house is in an SCI of which my wife and I are the sole members. So now we  have a form about paying via the VAT return for all the TVs which we might have in the bar, bedrooms, games room, TV room where no alcohol is served, etc, , as some types of of SCIs are commercial businesses like hotels !!   Just written to the tax collector to say we are a private house, copy of the other letter enclosed, in the hope that that will put them off!

Steve

Archived