Complete France Forum

microphone problem

In an attempt at trying to use a microphone on my PC to speak to another PC I have fallen at the first hurdle.  I bought a cheapie microphone today and so far have not been able to get a peep out of it.  When I run a test with it (on Skype) I get a voice coming back to me which says that I have a problem with the microphone settings.

I have looked at Windows Help and followed it as much as I can but to no avail. One problem I can see is that when I go into Control Panel and Speech it says I should see a Speech Recognition wotsit but the only option is a Text to Speech.

Anybody have the key to my, at the moment, one sided conversations?

weedon

Skype can have its own issues with microphones but these are can be either too much volume (causing an echo) or too little volume. It does not relate to no volume. Try the volumes options (Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume). Check the microphone is not muted and is at a reasonable level. Then in the same volumes dialog, select Options, Properties and change to “Recording” and check the Microphone volume there. Check it is selected and not muted. Many sound cards have two input sockets (Microphone and also Line In). Check you are in the correct one. On my sound card the microphone is plugged into the red/pink socket not the blue one (and the green one is for speakers).

Archived