Complete France Forum

Upper Case in Email Addresses

Recently wasted a few hours trying to mail an AOL account. The solution was to include Capital Letters in the name. I did not receive any failure to deliver messages or other problems.  Agh !!!!

I always thought Email addresses were in lower case ( or first 64 characters of the ASCII ) and that if you were lucky any characters greater than 64 had their value reduced by 64 so that they were in first 64 characters. 

Any way this American tribute to e e cummins or k d laing now seems to have been overturned so yet another opportunity for SNAFU. I understood computers when Lady Lovelace worked for Charles Babage on the Difference Engine its this electronics stuff which confuses me.

A friend has an AOL e-mail address which includes letters and a number.  I have tried sending an e-mail (from Wanadoo UK) to him in the format JBloggsNo1@aol.com (the way I have it in my address book) and jbloggsno1@aol.com.

It works both ways!

I don’t think e-mail addresses are case sensitive (I may be wrong!).  I know most e-mails I receive come from lower case addresses, but I’ve never had any problems when sending e-mails to addresses in the format Firstname.Surname@Company.com.

In the past I have had problems sending e-mails to AOL if, for example, I sent the e-mail from the NTLworld e-mail address I used to have through Freeserve, my ISP.  I had no problems sending e-mails in this way to any other addresses.

I’ve no idea why.  However I will try your capitalisation trick the next time an e-mail is bounced by AOL.

Archived