Complete France Forum

Lost Internet Connection

From our own experience, the most likely reason is a dodgy phone line. Closely followed by the fact that if you are using wanadoo, that seems much more prone to random disconnection than some other ISPs. A good external modem, properly configured for a French connection, can help - though benefits tend to be more in speed than reliability.

I had a similar problem but it was when I was using the web.  It would go blank or rather black on me and then come up with the information that an error has occured and refer me to some code I should look up.  This has been going on for the past 6 to 8 weeks and I started to feel that it occured more often when I was connected to a particular web site.  Even then I couldn't fathom out why I was having this problem.  When three days ago I noticed something taking place on an area of the screen whichI tended not to view closesly  It is when logging on ther is a listing to the bottom left hand side of the screen that advises " Down loading " and starts at a high number until it comes down to zero and informs you that it is " Done "  The problem was that although noticing this information what then took place which seems to be new, was that it switched back to tell me that there was a furthe 77 itmems to be down loaded.  Not noting this I continued using the web site and of course was giving it instructions when it was still loading down and the result was that it closed down on me indicating an error.  I now wait and make sure ( not just on tht website but also all I use )  that full downloading is complete and  BINGO !!!!! have had not further problems.  Now I am not saying this is your problem but it may start you wondering

Regards Les Favets

I have always had a similar problem (and only use Wanado). When I used to use a dial-up modem, I found that “not all modems are the same”. Some are OK, others good and some terrible when it comes to keeping the line going. I went through quite a few different ones and the “quality” was not related to the cost/manufacturer. The best I found was actually a Taiwanese real cheapy modem and whilst it did not work for faxes, was brilliant and dial-up for the internet (worst a Creative Labs modem which could hardle establish a connection at all). Now I have broadband and Wanadoo still disconnects a couple of times per day. I just reconnect which it does immediately and carry on fine.

I did find Wanadoo’s software “poor” and did lock up Windoze XP Pro every 2 days or so. However, a standard Windoze dial-up connection worked (though was still subject to the disconnects for no apparent reason).

Losing your connection could be due to any number of things (as Will says, phone line, Wanadoo, modem, etc.)

Archived