Complete France Forum

Woe is me !! my computer keeps having black-outs, need help Doc

Firstly I am still on a learning curve when it comes to technical terms,, need everything spelt out, it's my age??? Over the past few months my computer often  just goes a blankety black on me and then the screen comes up with ; Improper shut down detected " and advises me to follow the following alternatives to come back on line ( Press ENTER ) or ( Press any letter ) to come back on line or ( press ALT/CTRL/DELETE ) which will re open windows.  I have tried these but what tends to happen the website I am using comes back on screen for a few seconds then it goes black again with the same instructions or!! It goes back to the website page I am using but the screen is mainly black and partial icons showing up with no movement of the mouse.  I have tried going to the help facility and it does offer some possibilities but when taking them up they do not register I am not able to bring them up.  The problem only takes place when I am using the web never on emails.

It is becoming frustrating that I am not able to discover the fault

ANY HELP OR ADVISE (  In plain language please )

Regards les Favets

www.ruralfranceholidays.com

A few ideas :

Use a kitchen timer or stop watch to find out how long after loggin on your Internet Service Porvider logs you off. Mine cuts at one hour and it is mostly OK to reeneter but occasionally requires a full reboot.

Use Ctrl Alt Deleate to see which programs are running it may be you have enabled auto-update on for instance your printer software goes off to search for updates which locks the system.

Check all plugs adaptors and cables are fully inserted

There is a PC FAQ on this forum which lists all the virus checkers and Trojan removers you should run on your PC. I would suggest doing everything listed there. In the last two weeks there have been some awful incarnations of virus and trojan malicious code and the result is that your PC is turned into a 'zombie machine' which then sends out further code. The fact that your problems only seem to happen when you are on-line is worrying and could mean you have one of the new infections.

I hope that it is nothing too serious.

Another thought, how long has this been going on for? There are a couple of virus doing the rounds with similiar symptoms. Do you update your virus guard software automatically, or check every time you log on?

Good Luck

My U.K bought computer had been very temperamental since setting it up in France- similar probs as yours.

Try PC Rescue . You can find it on the internet ( if you can stay connected long enough!) I purchased and downloaded it on line and it found 150+ errors which it fixed.

So far , fingers crossed, computer as good as new.

Hope this helps

Archived