Complete France Forum

Digibox and satellite finder !!!

I would just like to receive the basic BBC channels.  The house I am staying in for a few months already has a dish, but the digibox is analogue so will have to buy a digital one. I can get all the French channels at the moment.

Where is the cheapest place to buy a digibox and would the satellite dish which is in place need lots of moving to a new location or just moving on its "axis"?  It is easily reachable.

After all this, is there anyone living near Pontivy who has one of these satellite finders who would help me to find just the basic BBC channels?  I would invest in the pukka kit .. but will only be in this place until end of September.  Will leave any equipment I buy for the owners.  Happy to pay for your time.

1)   Bricodepot or similar.   They often include a dish anyway,  but for as low as €70 that's still not bad.

2)   The existing dish will be set on 5 deg west and you need to go to 28 deg east.  Standing behind the dish and looking southish,  this means swinging the arm and dish to your left (by as much as 50 cms VERY approx, depends on the design),  in addition you will need to tip the arm downwards towards the ground (c 2 - 3 cms approx,  same caveat on accuracy).   It would only be necessary to displace to a new location if your view (roughly SSE) is blocked by trees/buildings etc

3)   Sky digiboxes are notoriously awkward (deliberately) to set up without a beeper,  but almost all non-crippled "ordinary" boxes  are far easier,  with an on-screen signal meter for strength and more importantly quality.   A lot are already programmed to receive the BBC so viewing the results of swinging the dish around is made very easy to observe.

One point though - you need a "universal LNB" on the dish.   You probably have that already,  but some older French installations have a "telecom" LNB which isn't suitable for the "lower band" BBC frequencies.   There should be a little spec plate on the LNB somewhere,  the important figures you should check for are LO 9.75/10.6 (GHz).   If it says 10.75 (from memory) you will need to replace (poss with the one that may come with the box you buy if it includes a dish).

Good luck.

Archived