Complete France Forum

Answerphone inaudibility

I'm having difficulty finding an answerphone that is audible. My wife and I find it difficult to understand messages in English, never mind French. It's loud enough, just not clear. Any suggestions of brands that work well, please?

We used to have a Matra answerphone only, the telephone was separate, which worked pretty well. I'm not sure if this brand is still available though. When the telephone packed up we went for a combined phone and answering machine, cheap and cheerful Logitech Oalis, it was very difficult to hear the broadcast message and there was no way of turning up the volume, and the incoming messages were quite distorted. We have just changed to a Siemens combined and that seems to be OK in all respects. We mainly picked it because it was a name we had heard of and it didn't have too many fancy features that we don't want.

It is extremely difficult to know what the messages will sound like before you buy but it might be worth asking the France Telecom Agence if you have one nearby. If you explain to them the problem they ought to be able to help and at least what they sell is, I think, approved by them. You could also ask if they will exchange it if you are not satisfied.

Bear in mind, if you go for the combined type (and I don't seem to have seen the answerphone only type around much these days) that you really need an ordinary phone that does not require mains power as well, in case of emergency.

Liz (29)

We have one which is called Doro Matra, and we got it from the FNAC about a year ago, so they might still be available. I think it is quite clear most of the time, but sometimes messages can be difficult to understand if the person is ringing from a mobile. There is not a lot you can do about that though, because it is not the machine's fault. It is an answering machine on its own and not attached to a phone. We've been happy with it.

Archived