Complete France Forum

Cancelling Wanadoo ADSL

Last August, 2004, I wrote to Wanadoo to cancel my internet connection as I was moving to the Middle East.

I never received any reply but when I returned, March 2005, I was inundated with monthly bills and my internet connection had been disconnected due to non-payment (I had previously paid my monthy account through the bank).  When I telephoned Wanadoo they informed me that they had received my letter but my contract was for a year...the year being up on 9 Jan 2005. I did mention that it was now March and why were they still charging me, but I got a garbled response.

I then received a letter from a debt collecting company demanding 92 euros...which I paid.  After numerous attempts to reach them by phone and letter, to no avail I may add, I am still being charged for a service I am no longer using or not even connected to. 

Can someone advise me where to go from here?  How much notice do they require??????????????  I am expecting another letter from the debt collecting agency any day now for non-payment of 126 euros.

Marion

The trap you have fallen into is that French contracts for internet, insurance, Cable Tv etc are for a twelve month period, which can only be cancelled in the month before renewal, and reneal is automatic.

You wrote last summer, when  you couldn't cancel, so your contact continued till Janauary. You then didn't write in December when you had the opportunity , so the contract was renewed until next January.

The law has recently been changed which will at least mean that they have to write to tell you that you have the chance to cancel, but the basic idea will remain the same.

So you might as well  use the contract that you are going to be paying for another six months.

Hi

It pays top read the small print ?

Offers such as a modem for Euro 1 more are invariably tied to a minimum period.

And the small print says :

If you cancel within the period you are liable to pay the balance of the minimum period

And you may have a notice period of 1/2/3 months to cancel

Peter

I have sent all correspondence "AR" but that has made no difference.  I received confirmation Wanadoo had got my letters but never any written reply...only demands for money.

I have since signed up with Tiscali as I was having quite a few problems with Wanadoo previously...their software!!!!!

Well it seems I have no other choice but to keep paying for a service I am not receiving.  

Thanks to all who replied.

Marion 

Well if you sent your letters by lettre recommande avec accuse de reception. Kept the receipts along with a copy of the letters you sent and the reply saying that they had recieve your letters and the envelopes, then I don't think that you should continue paying.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2892.xhtml

Personally I would be contacting the people mentioned on this web link.

Apparently Tiscali were the only French internet supplier to use the automatic renewal trick, and even they have now stopped.

However Wanadoo used to tie people to a minimum 24 month contract, and perhaps that is the problem.

Check your contract, and if you are on a twelve month contract there would be no need to pay anything after your initial contract expired. If you have your proof of posting you should be OK.

Archived