Complete France Forum

cheap phone calls to UK via coucoutel

hi - I feel I am not being very bright here.  Could someone clarify for me whether, if I dial the coucoutel prefix 08116533040 before diallong the UK number, then I just get charged at French local rates for the call.  It seems so cheap that I can't understand how it works.  How do Coucoutel get their money as I seem to receive no direct billing from them, just a charge on my normal France telecom bill.  It just seems too easy and too good to be true. Perhaps I have misunderstood the French language on the Coucoutel site.  Thanks to anyone that is already using Coucoutel and can clarify for me.

I have recently discovered Skype and on checking for contacts found friend in France when we spoke it was just like we were in the same room and all for free

It may not suit everyone as it works much better with broadband than dial up but it worth exploring.

Hi jhc

I dont use Coucoutel (I'm with TLK2) and I'm interested in your thread.

Firstly you appear to need to dial a prefix number to gain this service, then you pay the local tariff (which I'm presuming is the BT local rate). Is this correct? If so take a look at TLK2. I think you'll find that us very competitive and much easier to use. All our admin is in English and we are, of course, seriously helpful.

Email me if you want any details.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the last reply - Coucoutel is not well known and the fact you have to dial a prefix is very worrying.  TLK2 is the best by far that I have found, no frills, no spills, just cheap and easy calls.  The savings I have made will pay for a few good meals out including a good bottle of wine! I've tried France Telecom, Phonexpat and Tele2 and TLK2 comes out on top every time.  Give it a try, they do all the changeover for you which obviously makes life a lot easier all round.  Look at their website on www.tlk2.com or you are welcome to email me on ggroome@fsmail.net

Archived