Complete France Forum

How do you get an Internet CD in France ?

Friend with old but perfectly serviceable PC asked how she could get on the Internet. In the UK dead easy, buy a computer magazine or visit a supermarket and there is the CD. My French experience was of visiting France Telecom and signing for the prelevement for the account and picking up the CD rom, and two sets of passwords. I believe Free.Fr sent new accounts out by mail with password and CD rom. - Her phone is outside ADSL coverage

Does anybody know a quick and easy way of setting up an account without waiting ? or

An easy way of getting the CD apart from spending half a day queueing at F.T. ?

Do any of the French Computer Magazines regularly carry disks with AOL etc free CDs

Or, you could phone the english speaking helpline for France Telecom and they will set the account up there and then and post the disc.  They can tell you how to get instant access without waiting for the disc, although this wasn't successful for me being a technophobe, so waited just 2 days for the disk!

Phone (from France): 0800 364 775.  This is a free no. and is open Mon-Fri 8.30 am - 8.00 pm.

My monthly payment is 10 euros and I get 25 hours usage per month, but there are various options.

Regards

Lou.

Or you could use your computer to go on-line, go to someone like Freesurf.fr and set up an account for your friend, then they could access the internet for the price of a local call and then at leisure tour the sites of the various internet providers and then choose one that suits them best.

Using the CD from most of the main providers is not recommended they want to take over your system, apart from if you want to use AOL, i believe that you have no choice but to use their Cd

France Telecom had cd's in the shop.  The Assistant kindly offered to set the Internet & Email Account up for me.  She then told me to load cd in PC at home and logon using the login name & Passwords she gave me.

Emma

Archived