Complete France Forum

U.S. computers, other electronics

I will be moving to France in five weeks and I have an IBM and DELL laptop. I am wondering if I will have many problems in France as far as cable connections and electricity compatabilities, which could harm my computer and other electronics. I am aware that I should use adapters but I was curious if there are adapters specifically for computers and if it is worth the trouble.

Thanks,

Jessica

You may be very lucky and find the portables are already switchable to 230 volts from 110. Failing that search on google.co.uk for "Transformers 240 to 110 volts" pulls up loads of cheap UK stuff which are now small and light. Have not tried on google.fr or google in USA they may be cheaper there. 50 hertz versus 60 hertz did not used to be a problem but IBM used to sling Misinformation Uncertainty Doubt. Check out internal modem software to ensure it can be switched to France as I believe dialing tones are different. Otherwise leads for modems and plug adaptors available in French Hypermarkets. There are software solution for printing Euro and Pound signs.

99% of computer (laptop & desktop) power supplies are "universal" - they will work from 110 - 240V @ 50 or 60Hz. They are all switch-mode, which automatically detects the input voltage.

Look at the rating plate at the back of your PC to discover this.

"Other" electronics is a different matter. 30 years ago TV's (with linear power supplies - ie. transformers) all had 110/230V switches on them. Nowadays, they too have SM power supplies & may well work at 110/230V, but it is not guaranteed. Then again, a US TV will be useless in France & given the cost of replacing it ...

As Anton says, transformers are cheap and readily available. However, a linear power supply designed to run at 60Hz (the US mains standard) may be (mechanically/acoustically) noisy when run at 50Hz. Likewise, a 16% drop in mains frequency will mean a 20% (I guess) drop in power supply efficiency & hence output voltage - it may not produce enough output when run at 50Hz.

Best bet is not to bring anything with a linear power supply from the US.

Just a small thought; the use of any mains powered product that does not meet (ie. is tested and "CE" marked) the EC "low voltage directive" is illegal throughout the EU. UL standards are not accepted as comparable. But who cares, eh?

<< Likewise, a 16% drop in mains frequency will mean a 20% (I guess) drop in power supply efficiency & hence output voltage - it may not produce enough output when run at 50Hz. >>

They are normally OK actual drop output should not be 20 % and USA equipment has normally more protection against brown outs than UK stuff . These days my science seems to be based on Larry Niven as in 'Men of Steel - Women of Klenex' ever since Jerry Pournelle and Byte stopped being readilly available in Europe.   

Archived