Complete France Forum

pay-as-you-go mobile telephone

Hi,

Please, please can someone answer this within the next 30 mins!  I am about to catch the ferry to our maison secondaire in 50.  Does anyone know of a shop where we can buy a pay-as-you-go-mobile telephone within the St Hilaire/Mortain area?

Many thanks, in advance

Lynda

Probably too late but Expert, Parigny, St-Hilaire-du-Harcouët should be able to help.

If there was more time I would advise getting a SIM-free phone in Britain (the Carphone Warehouse clearance branch at Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth, has some good offers, you can call in on the way to the ferry) and a French SIM card from www.0044.co,uk or similar. If you have an old mobile you can get it unlocked so you can use a French SIM card in it. You can also buy French PAYG phones online, but France is not a good place to buy a mobile phone in my opinion.

Also too late to be of any help,

www.riiing.com

provides a SIM only service with free-to-receive calls in over 100 countries including France, with no roaming charges.

Sims are available in the UK and many other countries, mine was £30.00 (GBP)- outgoing calls are between 0.39 and 0.69 euros per minute. Topup via the riiing website.

Mine works perfectly throughout Europe (and the UK) - the only foible is outgoing calls are made on the callback principle - where the Riiing call centre connects you after you've 'dialed' the number by ringing you back.

Excellent for me - free text reception and free call reception works perfectly.

Riiing numbers seem to start with +423 though.

Full review here:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/phones/globalriiingsim.htm

Sue

Archived