Complete France Forum

What to do with my old PC?

I've searched in case this has been covered, but can't find anything relevant so here goes...

I have a surplus PC, running Windows 98, which I would be happy to donate to a school/good home/worthy cause rather than just cart to the dump.

Does anyone know of places that might be interested - preferably in the SW London area?

Angela

The are no Emmaus branches in London or the southern home counties. How about a local primary school? Or ask local social services - they may have a refuge or some other place which could use it. There are also charities which send computers abroad, but I don't have any details of those to hand.

I also have and old machine with windows 98, which I would be happy to give to a good cause. However, my concern is that personal information may well be still on the hard disk, such as Bank account and  Credit card details. I know that everything even if one has removed it, can still be found imbedded  on the hard drive. Is there anyway that I can be completely certain of clearing everything from the Hard Drive other than removing  and destroying it?

Baz

Look up 'secure erasure' on Google, there will be numerous tools available as freeware to erase your hard disk to military standard. Will install to a floppy, run this and your private details are overwritten with a complex pattern that will be safe enough for your purposes!

Mike

Archived