Complete France Forum

TV Licence in France - problems

Bought a TV in France 2 years ago and suddenly I am pursued for back payment of the licence.

My defense is that the TV is not connected and only used by my handicapped grandaughter to watch videos and DVDs.

Cuts no ice with the authorities.

Has anyone experience of this situation which seems to say that if you buy a TV and never take it out of the box you are still liable.

The UK authorities require a licence only if you can receive a picture!

As has been discussed on here many times before the licence is for possesing , not for using, a receiver capable of capturing TV broadcasts, which is what you have.

Si vous détenez un poste de télévision, vous devez payer la redevance audiovisuelle quel que soit le mode d'acquisition du téléviseur : achat, don, prêt, succession.

La redevance s’applique aux téléviseurs et aux dispositifs de réception assimilés (par exemple les magnétoscopes ou video-projecteurs équipés d’un tuner).

[quote]Bought a TV in France 2 years ago and suddenly I am pursued for back payment of the licence. My defense is that the TV is not connected and only used by my handicapped grandaughter to watch videos an...[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum, but I am sorry to have to say that;

Just as in the UK, a TV licence allows you to own a device (or devices) capable of receiving TV broadcasts. The fact that you choose not to receive off-air broadcasts is of no interest to the authorities. Consequently the licence also covers VCR's DVR recorders, PC's with TV cards, etc etc. To confirm your point, even if you do not take the TV out of the box, you will still be liable.

As you will appreciate, buying the TV prompted them to chase you for the fee (as they would in the UK).

As I understand it, if your Granddaughter lives with you permanently you may be able to get a reduction because of her disabilities, but I have no idea how to go about this. Generally speaking, the French authorities are very shoddy about retrospective claims...

The TV licence is no longer charged as a seperate item, it is included in your Taxe d'Habitation. If you tell the Hotel des Impots that you do not have a TV, when in fact you did, you will be in deep do-do if they catch you (so they tell me).

Edit - I am such a slow typist that 'im above got in before me! At least we concurr...

Archived