Complete France Forum

Hello all, I've just bought a DVD player that was working fine up until a few minutes ago. It now won't stay on the 'AV' or DVD channel and keepes on flipping back to a TV channel. At the same time a black vertical bar goes from left to right over the screen. Any ideas? Unfortunately our TV is very basic (only a scart/peritel socket), but it was bought here a year ago and the DVD player was working fine (only bought a few days ago). Yes I know I could take it straight back, but wondered if there was a simple explanation? Could it be the scart plug/socket. because when we first tried to use it, we couldn't get any sound until I pushed the socket in more firmly. It does seem a bit 'mickey mouse' I must say.

Any help gratefully received, what with a grumpy daughter now and all.

[quote]Hello all, I've just bought a DVD player that was working fine up until a few minutes ago. It now won't stay on the 'AV' or DVD channel and keepes on flipping back to a TV channel. At the same time a ...[/quote]

The black bar sounds like it is a power supply problem, ie. a fault. The black bar is noise on the video signal caused by the PSU collapsing. The fact that the TV goes back to a TV channel would bear this out, as it uses a signal on the SCART socket to decide whether it has a DVD connected or not. I assume that you have tried waggling every thing and that the TV works as a TV, OK.

Better dig out the receipt & be prepared to take it back on Monday. Our local Super U has neat loking DVD players for 29,99€, which doesn't seem like very much to me.

[quote]Well, bizarrely, it works fine this morning! I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that my daughter had it on since she got up, so it had been on all day. Is it French and needs a long lunch...[/quote]

That would confirm my original diagnosis, but the problem is only apparent when the thing gets hot. Ensure a good flow of air around the box and don't sit anything on top of the player.

Of course, if you take it back now & try to tell them the story above, you are never going to get it repaired! Use it until it dies completely.

I'm a great fan of disposable DVD players. They all use the same chipset & most use the same transport, so they all tend to be as reliable/unreliable (depending on whether you are a "glass half empty" or "glass half full" type). Trouble is, the "brand" names use the same components (& often the same transport - the mechanical bits, BTW). It is often only the PSU's (which themselves are made by a limited number of manufacturers) that differ.

Archived