Complete France Forum

Loss of Channels

Hello, I don't know if anyone can help on this issue, and I apologise if this request duplicates any other on the site.    My parents who are living in France have a sky card and up until a few months ago everything was fine, they could view all channels, then after an interruption in power due to a thunderstorm, they lost channels 3, 4 and 5.  They still have ITV 2 and 3 and all the other free to air channels but not 3, 4 and 5.  I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and whether it is rectifiable without purchasing a new card or digibox.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Julie

From the information supplied it sounds as if your card got damaged during the thunderstorm, but the digibox is working propery. The channels you mention as working will in fact work without the card. I had the same problem some years ago in France and had to get a replacement card from Sky, but fortunately I was able to use my UK address to get the replacement. A replacement Free to View card can be obtained from Sky for £20 on 0870 8500033 but you must be able to use a UK address that has a current TV licence.

I would always advise that you remove cards during thunderstorms as they are very sensitive and can easily be damaged.

Baz

Thanks Baz for your reply.  I realised afterwards that I was a bit confused about what was free to view and what was not.  I will tell them that the best thing for them to do is  get another card, and they can use my UK address.

Again many thanks.

Have they tried the usual rigmarole of unplugging the box and removing the card, then replugging the box and then re-inserting the card, waiting about 30 seconds between each move?  And then re-trying the same with the card re-inserted before the box is reconnected ......etc etc.  Often this will jolt the card into activity.

Can't hurt, anyhow

Chrissie (81)

Archived