Complete France Forum

Can't switch off !!!

No, not me, the computer !

My normal turning off routine is to close the ASDL connection, then shut down, but at present when I do that I get the blue screen for a minute or two and then a black line appears across it about 2 inches from the top, and it 'hangs'.

The only way to proceed is to press the reset button (just under the on switch on the computer itself) and wait for it to go all through the improper shutdown stuff. Then I can close the connection and shut down as normal.

Whats going wrong ? Can anyone help ?

[quote]No, not me, the computer !My normal turning off routine is to close the ASDL connection, then shut down, but at present when I do that I get the blue screen for a minute or two and then a black line a...[/quote]

This sounds like Windows 98 (or, Heaven Forfend, W95).

Is it a recent change? If so, try a repair from your original disk. Failing that, upgrade to XP (or W2000) - neither of which have "poor shutdown recovery"!

I used to have a not dissimilar problem with a Olitec USB modem under Windoze XP Pro. I did not normally get the “Blue screen of death” but when shutting down, there would be loads of “Not Responding” tasks reported and then it would just stop on “Is Saving your Settings”. Then needed to hold the power button for 5 seconds to actually switch off.

In my case it was a bug in either Olitec drivers. Have not checked for some time (as I now have ADSL), but when I did use dial-up, there was never any updated versions of the Olitec drivers to fix the problem. Happened every couple of days or so and I’m pretty sure it was the Olitec drivers as when I got another modem (actually two), the problem stopped and when I switched back to the Olitec modem it returned.

Ian

Hi

I am asking the same question too as my old Windoze 98 machine has just started to follow more or less the route re shutdown.

The only new thing I have is an update of Zonealarm - which I am almost sure has upset something somewhere in my machine. Usually this sorts itself out quite quickly if it happens - but not this time.

How do I do a repair from the original disc, Nick?

Sue

PS And yes I know I should upgrade to XP but there are some aspects of 98 I am very fond of.

[quote]Hi I am asking the same question too as my old Windoze 98 machine has just started to follow more or less the route re shutdown. The only new thing I have is an update of Zonealarm - which I am almo...[/quote]

On Windoze 98, Norton Anti-virus can cause switch-off problems. Are you running Norton anti-virus ?

Ian

Archived