Complete France Forum

Two Pc's, One printer

I think by far the neatest solution would be a simple wireless network, so you can each have full and immediate access to internet, printers, and anything else. I wish I could have the same, but I think you need ADSL in order to take full advantage of it.

[quote]I think by far the neatest solution would be a simple wireless network, so you can each have full and immediate access to internet, printers, and anything else. I wish I could have the same, but I thi...[/quote]

Will

can you explain more please. I have a wi-fi on PC A and  PC B will use the same remote livebox to access the internet , so how do I get a printer that is hard wired to PC A. to print from PC B by wireless?  What hardware do I need?  The livebox is downstairs, but the PC's are on adjacent desks. with the printer in between them, so no distance problems to overcome.

Steve, thanks for the tip, but "All you need is a 10baseT crossover cable plugged into both cards" is too technical for me, my PC knowledge is a bit dated now and I am not sure I would want to create a network.just to print or is it easier than it sounds?

Ron, not having the benefits of ADSL here I can't really give you any firm answers, all I can do is to say that I have looked enviously at kits of 'all you need' in Britain and I am sure that printer sharing was one of the features.

Looking at a bit of literature I have on wireless networks, it would appear that you need a broadband router with USB print server. There are probably other solutions, along the lines of the 'peer to peer' network but without the cables. I also have a data sheet on a bluetooth network which includes printers, mobile phones, headsets etc. I would imagine, but again don't know for sure, that there must be a bluetooth device that you plug into the printer's USB socket to allow it to communicate with the other devices.

The idea of a changeover switch is one which I have used in the past, but of course it involves physically switching, and that was with old-fashioned parallel port printers whereas just about all modern printers use USB.

While printers may be 10 a penny the cartridges aren't, and so there are ongoing costs of keeping having printers ESPECIALLY if they are used infrequently.

If the pcs are close to each other the splitter idea is very easy to use, and there are many versions around.

If not then the network idea ( wirless and/or wired) can work. The printer can either be a 'shared' resource running off one pc, or it can have its own 'server' connection effectively making it a standalone unit within your network. The latter may need an additional piece of kit, if your printer supports it. My personal experience is that this method is more faffy to set up and maintain, but then if I knew what I was doing it might be easier !

ADSL is a red herring for all of this, though if you have a router because of it you might well be halfway to the solutions above.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated, not sure about a new printer though

I know what you mean about cartridge costs John, Epson and the like's prices are criminal, but , if anyone is interested http://www.multe-pass.com/ are doing packs of cartridges for a fraction of the price of the recommended ones.

I paid just 11€ including delivery for two blacks and one colour cartridge for an Epson cx3200, and they work absolutely fine.

Ron, you should have everything you need right now. Go to control panel, printers, right click the printer, then click sharing and enable the printer to be shared. Go to the other pc and set it up to use the printer. Might work?

If not go to my network places and set up a home network using the set up procedure. Sorry it's a bit sketchy but I generally just click everything until something happens, it usually works for me!

You can use ethernet cables and a junction box or serial cables and a junction box but try the wifi route first.

Archived