Complete France Forum

Internet access

I have a property in the Var which has a standard telephone connection. However it is on "service restraint" which normally means only  local numbers, which are free, can  be dialled from it as it is occasionally let out and I use a mobile for normal outgoing calls. I want to take a laptop to France for basic e mail usage and to listen to radio stations. My UK ISP is Blueyonder, via cable. Does any one know how I can connect either back to the UK either to Blueyonder or someone else in the UK, or on a pay as you go basis to someone else in France?  perhaps using a French ISP. Hope this makes sense !!

With the normal service restraint you can switch it on ond off from the phone by entering a code and your PIN number so that is no problem .Incidentally unless you have a call package local calls with FT are chargeable.

The best thing would be to use a French internet service on PAYG basis, but though these are local calls you won't be able to connect with restraint in place, because they are in the premium rate range of numbers. Typically it will cost about 60p an hour  , and radio "reception" may be a bit broken up over a non-broadband link.

You could do the signing up while you are in England, via a providers web site, no need to corrupt your pc with provider's CDs!

Archived