Complete France Forum

TNT - any comments so far?

Hi All,

thinking of investing in a TNT box for the MIL/BM at Christams - she wants all day long France 5 and Arte.

I know her commune is covered by the September rollout and she has a 2 year old aerial with a booster box, but wondered if anyone has any comments on using the service and what boxes to avoid possibly? I remember the early days of Freeview in GB with pixelating pictures and sound loss with great fondness....

thanks

Seems no-one (so far) wants to volunteer any experience of TNT.

Speaking from the theory,  the French are using a more robust system than even the 16QAM now partially in use in the UK.  This will even allow reception on the move (trains etc).  However,  from what one hears there ARE still problems in poor reception areas.

One thing to check is that your relations are currently using the same analogue station for their set up as is being used for TNT,  rather than some local relay.  In other words that they won't have to re-engineer their aerial back to some more distant TNT transmitter.   If this is not an issue,  and if they are getting cracking 100% reception at the moment, then there shouldn't be a problem.

If all they want is wall to wall F5 and Arte you could explore the digital satellite AB3 route,  bearing in mind the fact that it might be encrypted without any warning of course.

[quote]Hi All,thinking of investing in a TNT box for the MIL/BM at Christams - she wants all day long France 5 and Arte.I know her commune is covered by the September rollout and she has a 2 year old aerial ...[/quote]

We bought a TNT box for 34,95€ from SuperU a couple of months ago. Can't remember the make, but, as it works perfectly and is the cheapest I have seen, I surmise that they are all fine.

Assuming that you have TNT coverage in your area (however, if your local suoermarket/brico will sell you a box, there probably is).

Bricomarché near us sell the TNT receivers, with a BIG coverage map next to them clearly illustrating that TNT will not be available here until the end of 2006!

I suppose people could be buying them for their relatives elsewhere....

Look forward to it for the kids - the Analogue Sat reception is a bit naff now and again.

Archived