Complete France Forum

deleting Google topics

Sorry this has nothing to do with France but would be glad of ideas on how to delete the alphabetical list of topics which pops up when you click the cursor onto Google. Since husband changed to Mozilla Firefox as ?default server I cannot just use the delete key when a word is highlighted in blue as previously. Hoping someone has an idea as it's getting ridiculously full up. I'm not an expert as you will tell from the question. Pat.

Pat, I copied this from Google help..

CLEARING YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH BOX HISTORY

The search history that displays in the search box on the Google homepage is stored by your browser, not by Google. To disable this feature on Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) versions 5.0 and higher:

1. Go to the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Internet Options."
3. Select the "Content" tab.
4. Within the "Personal Information" area, select "AutoComplete."
5. Click on "Clear Forms." You can also uncheck the "Forms" box in this same window to keep this information from being stored in the future.

Alternatively, you can delete individual entries from your search history by using the Down arrow key to select a previous search, then pressing the Delete key once an unwanted search is highlighted.

To disable this feature in Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and higher:

1. Go to the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Options" > "Privacy" > "Saved Form Information."
3. Click "Clear" and un-check the box.
4. Click "OK" to exit.

Cathy, the information was very useful. Perhaps you could now tell me how to  how to delete the alphabetical list of topics which pops up when you enter a web address into the address box. I have so much listed it would be helpful to do some prunning.

Baz

Ron, thanks for your reply. I had already tried your suggestion, whilst it works partially by removing all the history, it strangely leaves some odd sites and messages from previously viewed sites when entering via the address. I shall give a few examples.

BBC Market data
Bookbrain.co.uk. The smartest way to buy books on the web
Control Panel ( how that is listed there I do not know)
Member Centre
Radio Station guide

On reflection  there are still a few properly entered website addresses still remaining, but the rest are from my "Favourites" list with a few from "My Computer" or "My Documents" how these are listed in Address I have know idea, but it would be nice to clear them out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Baz

Hi Baz,

I’m assuming you’re using Internet Explorer?  If not there should be something similar in your browser.

Click on Tools | Internet Options | General – “Delete cookies” (confirm at the prompt) and then “Delete Files…” (Confirm at the prompt and also tick the box for off-line content).

Now select the “Content” tab and click on “AutoComplete…”.  Then click on “Clear Forms” and then “Clear Passwords”.

If you’ve not cleared out your cookies for a while this will get rid of unwanted (and all other) cookies.  It will mean that the next time you log into LF Forum and any others, you will have to put in your user name and password – you can then select their “remember me” option to make it faster to log on the next time.

You should also organise your “Favourites” so that only Favourites you use regularly are in the root directory of “Favourites” (ie you can see them just by clicking on “Favourites”).  Others should be moved to folders within Favourites in the same way as you have your files stored in different folders within “My Documents”.

Click on Favourites | Organise Favourites to create folders and move your Favourites to folders you have created.  This will stop “AutoComplete” displaying / prompting these items as you type a website address.  It is possible to permanently switch off AutoComplete if you do not want IE to auto complete any URLs you type.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks Ecossais for your response. I have always organised my favourites in the root directory and stored in various folders and the same also with My Documents. I regulary clean out both online and off line files. I have now as you suggested deleted all Temporary cookies but not passwords, as in the past loosing this information caused more problems for MOH and children. I am using IE and unfortunately the URL's are still there when I started entering into the address.

Anyway thanks again, I will have to live with the problem.

Baz

Baz,

I’ve just realised I’ve got the same problem!

I hadn’t noticed this before, but it looks like any file which is saved on the Desktop or object (eg mobile phone) which is in "My Computer", is listed in the drop down address bar, if the name of it starts with the same first letter you type in the address bar.

This is in addition to any Favourites in the root directory of “Favourites” which begin with the same letter and any web pages beginning with the same letter (excluding the http) in your “History”.

As far as I can see, the only way to reduce it is to turn off  “Autocomplete” in Internet Explorer:  Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete – remove the tick in “Use AutoComplete for web addresses”.

You’ll still get, for example “My Computer” coming up if you type “m” in the address bar, but you wont get any websites.

It may also be worthwhile cleaning up your desktop if you’ve got lots of files and links on it and reducing the number of days surfing history stored by Internet Explorer:  Tools | Internet Options | General – change “Days to keep in history” to (eg) “1”.

Annoying, isn’t it!

Archived