Complete France Forum

Frustrating PC logon!

Can anyone help    Please .

A few weeks back our PC, bless it's little black heart, decided that it would boot up and logon as 'Administrator'. Try as I might I can't find out how to set it back to our normal personal logon! The operating system was 2000 Pro until today, now it's XP Pro. I thought that I would wait until I have done the upgrade and then see if I could find the way forward. Not a bl**dy chance !!! So here I am with my appeal.

Someone please say a prayer for the wonderful Mr Gates?

John.

John,

I’ve got XP Home rather than Pro.  With XP Home, if there is only one “User Account” set up on the PC when XP is first installed, then that user is the “Administrator”, who can make changes to other users levels of access etc.

Is the problem that you are being asked for a “User Name” and password when your PC powers up?  If so (and if XP Pro works the same way as XP Home), it looks like you can change this.  Go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts and click on “Change the way users log on and off”.  Tick “Use the Welcome Screen” (rather than "Classic" logon) and click on “Apply Options”.

There is help for this feature if you click on “Learn about > Logon options”.

I’ve no experience of Windows 2000 and don’t know if the fact that you’ve upgraded from 2000 will make any difference to how “Administrator” and other user accounts work.

Archived