Complete France Forum

options for broadband internet connection in Cahors?

You

need to check what ISPs will provide a service to you.  There are several online sites that can do

this and all are a bit unreliable or out-of-date.  However, one such site (with its shortcomings) is http://www.degrouptest.com/.  You can enter your telephone number and it

will tell you which ISPs can offer which ADSL speeds.  Its not 100% but neither are the others (e.g. France Telecom’s

site tells me that I cannot have ADSL, even though I have used it for over a

year with Wanadoo !).

What

ISPs you may use will depend on a number of factors (e.g. how long ADSL has

been available in your area, how rural you are, telephone subscriber density, etc.)  In my case, when ADSL was first introduced

only Wanadoo provided any service. 

After around 6 months of so CegeTel started offering two speeds but they

have since dropped out so its back to Wanadoo or nothing.  That said, all ISPs have shortcomings (e.g.

the Alice/Tiscali quality of service questionnaire by the French

consumer Agency).  In my experience

Wanadoo are not too bad (compared to others I have tried in the past).  However, remember they all have weaknesses,

all have continually changing offers, all want to separate you from your money

and that it is a continually changing marketplace.

Ian

thanks Ian![quote user="Deimos"]

You need to check what ISPs will provide a service to you.  There are several online sites that can do this and all are a bit unreliable or out-of-date.  However, one such site (with its shortcomings) is http://www.degrouptest.com/.  You can enter your telephone number and it will tell you which ISPs can offer which ADSL speeds.  Its not 100% but neither are the others (e.g. France Telecom’s site tells me that I cannot have ADSL, even though I have used it for over a year with Wanadoo !).

What ISPs you may use will depend on a number of factors (e.g. how long ADSL has been available in your area, how rural you are, telephone subscriber density, etc.)  In my case, when ADSL was first introduced only Wanadoo provided any service.  After around 6 months of so CegeTel started offering two speeds but they have since dropped out so its back to Wanadoo or nothing.  That said, all ISPs have shortcomings (e.g. the Alice/Tiscali quality of service questionnaire by the French consumer Agency).  In my experience Wanadoo are not too bad (compared to others I have tried in the past).  However, remember they all have weaknesses, all have continually changing offers, all want to separate you from your money and that it is a continually changing marketplace.

Ian

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

[/quote]

Archived