Complete France Forum

Google Earth - now for Mac

Google Earth is a fascinating free download which lets you see any part of the earth from space down to a height of a few metres - hey I can see my house! It's been available for PC for a little while, but is now available in pre-beta for Mac OS X. And it's utterly addictive. The bad news is that relatively little of the UK and not much of France is available in full detail (you can work out the make and model of cars and see individual people in the high resolution areas) - but that will improve over time. Go to

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

for the OSX and Windows 200/XP downloads.

Excellent package.

And you can measure the length of runways used by Ryanair and ask yourself whether it is really safe for a 737 to land on THAT.

Another interesting feature is that jumps from one location to another follow great circles. You should expect that but our experience of the world has been shaped by Mercator's Projection and we don't readily perceive great circles.

I was so excited when I first heard of Google Earth, but after many many hours (oh well ok, not hours, long minutes) in front of my screen waiting for something to appear, I came to the conclusion it was part of an American plot to ensure those of us without fast connections would remain in the dark!!!

And so it is... I'll stay in the dark until such time I can get ASDL...

[quote user="Clair"]I was so excited when I first heard of Google Earth, but after many many hours (oh well ok, not hours, long minutes) in front of my screen waiting for something to appear, I came to the conclusion it was part of an American plot to ensure those of us without fast connections would remain in the dark!!!

And so it is... I'll stay in the dark until such time I can get ASDL...

[/quote]

It is always worth looking at the minimum requirements before downloading. In fact for Google Earth they are clearly shown and it states Internet: 128 Kbps ("broadband") minimum required.  I agree it is a very interesting site but it does take a little while to completely find ones way around, however for me until most of the UK and France can be seen in close up I have uninstalled it.

Baz

I love this prog, only shame is our house in France in not shown but our place in central London is ( with our car outside) and so is our house in the Turks and Caicos Islands, which is very cool because it shows the car-port I built. I also like the fact your can e-mail the info, which is a nice touch because we rent our house on Provo out for 6 months of the year and it's makes a nice add-on on the info we give out.

Even on dail-up it works well for me, I just let it load in the back ground while doing other stuff.

Archived