Complete France Forum

Concerning mobiles...

Hi

I have decided to revive and old Virgin-bought Philips Savvy mobile for emergency use in France.

It's unlocked and I have purchased and registered an NRJ Mobile Sim card for it.

It works fine for basic use (i.e. calls and SMS only!)

I have a few queries about it and, if possible, I'd like to know what you think about the following:

1. When I switch it on, the screen first displays the Virgin logo, then on registering, it displays 208 13. As as our more sophisticated Nokia shows FRA 13, I assume is the local phone mast registration. Correct?

2. The Philips phone display also shows an icon which means the phone is using a foreign network. I assume this is related to the Virgin registration, but why and can I change that?

3. Within the menus, I have the option to redirect the calls (unanswered, engaged, out of reach, always), but when I try to activate/deactivate the options, it fails. Again, I assume it's linked to Virgin, but why?
Many thanks in advance.[*]

Clair, 

The networks customise the software on their mobiles so that phones work out of the box with their services like picture messaging, voicemail, internet, etc. 

If you get a mobile unlocked, the original network’s settings will still be there – like the “Virgin” splash screen on power up – these settings are determined by the software, not the SIM card. 

Your ex-Virgin phone cannot display the “NRJ” name as the network did not exist at the time the phone was made and is therefore not programmed into the software – the “208-13” relates to the frequency the phone works on.  If you put an Orange or SFR SIM in the phone it would probably display “Orange / SFR ” as these networks have been around for many years. 

The divert and other menu options in your phone are configured to work on Virgin UK, again because of the network customised software.  If you do want to set up “no answer divert” (to voicemail or another number) etc, there will be another way of doing this – for example with O2, you can key “**61*(901 for voicemail)#” followed by “send”.  You may be able to get the NRJ commands from their website or a dealer selling NRJ SIMs. 

Phones which are sold “SIM free” have not been customised by the networks and are therefore easier to set up for use with different SIMs – unfortunately it is more expensive to buy a mobile this way.

Hi Ecossais

Thanks for the update. The Savvy screen does show NRJ Mobile (as well as 208 13).

As things stands, any unanswered call will just show up as "missed call" with no option to send the caller to my NRJ voice mail. I'll scour the NRJ Mobile website for a potential fix to the problem.

Thanks again

Archived