Complete France Forum

Cheaper Telephone Bills

Hi,

Anyone experienced a telephone provider called " AS24 Telecom / Primus " There is a good discription of their service on their website, apparently, no connection charges !

Most are cheaper than FranceTelecom, but are there any hidden costs ?

Regards    Ray

To get the most appropriate (lowest cost, whatever) you need

to look at your “calling pattern” (e.g. how many calls to where and when).  For example, do you mainly call overseas

(e.g. UK), do you mainly call during the day or evenings, etc.

There are some very cheap providers around, but what savings

you make depend on the “where and when” questions.

(e.g. France to UK evenings and weekends 1.4 cents per min, no account, no prepayment, kepp phone number, line, no paperwork, nothing - just use as you want).

Ian

Used AS24 for the last two years. Main points are that the bill is only for the time you use rather than two minutes even if you listen to an FT announcement that the line is not available / diconnected . Ran a spreadsheet against other providers when we moved and decided savings were marginal. I do not think they are quite the cheapest but like having a person to phone up.

Apart from running a French bank Account or an credit card which takes variable direct debits I could not find any problems / extra costs 

We use Primus and have no complaints at all. we call UK a lot and found that our FT bill dropped dramatically. After 12 months they gave us a free cheap rate nulber for anyone who calls us from the UK. Very useful for our business and, yes, it was free with no catches! They are very helpful and, s mentioned earlier, you can just pick up the phone if you have any queries.

Hi ,

Thanks everyone for your input, will now consider all the options !

Checked out the " tlk2.com " website, looks viable, but do they incur connection charges on the first minute ?

AS24Telecom/Primus however claim no connection charges are made.

The bottom line is, which telephone supplier is the cheapest in practice for the user?

Regards         Ray

[quote user="James2"]

The bottom line is, which telephone supplier is the cheapest in practice for the user?

[/quote]

To a large extent who is the cheapest will depend on where

you call and when (and maybe who – i.e. often engaged or often not in).  There is no single ”cheapest” for all

places, all the time.  Each has their

niche (which is how they stay in business).

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

If you either are so worried that you are awake at 4 am or are incapable of setting the time on your computer then I doubt very much that I would ever wish to engage you as a contractor. If you belive anybody who is happy to pay double has to be a good customer then you have a veyr short term view of business.

As in most things in ths life you have to read the small print including the charges for calls to overseas mobiles being used in France and what the minimum charge is irrespective of call duration. Also how much you are charged to ring to telephony provider to find that the mobile your were calling was not switched on and listen to a message in Greek telling you so.

A marginally more helpful posting would have listed chapter and verse on why your solution of choice was cheaper. A significantly more helpful posting would at least have included your recommended supplier

Archived